• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Rick

What Is Your Favorite Ice Fishing Fishfinder In 2018?

Gave the new helix a 3 day test. I like it!  My only complaint is that it's a bit of a battery hog. I really like the zoom on it. At 8x I can just about check my pulse as it picks up the tiniest of rod/line movements. I mean as small a movement that can be made with a tiny pelkie jig.   Seemed just a bit better than my fl20 at doing a waxie count on the jig too.  Dropping the gain 1 point was the only adjustment needed.  Still keeping the fl18 and 20 for backup..

I had to ask my friend with his fl18 if he was hoovering the ice shack. 

You probably tried this, but I found lowering the brightness level to 5 or 6 helped save battery life quite a bit. For some reason mine defaults to its highest setting every time I turn it on. I haven't spent enough time with mine to determine if I can lock it in at a lower brightness.

change the color to black background and adjusting brightness really helps my helix not use the battery up as fast.

I have the showdown and love it. I also bought the ice kit for my lowrance elite-5. But it has been finicky at time. I just picked up a Garmin EchoMap 73dv on hsolist for the bow of my boat but want to try it out on the ice. So now I need a ice transducer. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Great advice and sounds like you have had some great times on the great Upper Red Lake!  The difference on Red from having a good day to a great day can be as much as moving 20 feet away!  From what you explain I would try to befriend a local or rent an ice auger and bring with the cold gear.  Rent your house like you are and then throw the auger in the car and explore or just pop holes in the area of your house so you can get out enjoy the uniqueness of fishing outside and your chances for landing more fish increases greatly opposed to hard house fishing.  Good Luck!!
    • I have been here a good 17 years and I think there is only about 1 guy left here that I have met in person. Back in the day I knew and met several members who were frequent posters on FM. I met quite a few of them through the BP Catfish League but I think most of those guys are long gone.
    • Ok getting things back on track.  Next month will be my 14th year and I think I've only met one other member.  Met Frank (Surface Tension) several years back on Fish Lake near Duluth.  He was incredibly helpful and generous sharing his knowledge of the lake.  If I remember right my dad and I drove up and Frank called saying the forecast looked like rain for the entire day.  Well my dad and I were already on the way and were going to fish rain or shine so Frank and his son still geared up and met us for some fishing.  I don't remember exactly how the day broke down but I remember get really wet but also catching a lot of nice fish.  I've fished the lake a lot since but that was my best day by a long shot. 
    • I am making Christmas jerky packs for gifts by request   so where do I send my request??!!!  enjoy them good eats!!!
    • Thanks Frank. Your another member I have met about 5 times sledding, Twig swap, old Bside Bash and never got in front of the camera?  🙂   Lets get this thread back on track about meeting folks on this site for Outdoor activities and stop giggling about a guys titties! 🙄
    • Don't let him fool ya, he used to be known as LMIT OUT. 😁
    • Here you go just for you! I don't hunt that spot anymore anyway. Best time to be in that stand is in the evening!  😉   N 47.048424 W 94.735163
    • Signs of life again, man we are like a yoyo team. Real test will come against Calgary, they seem legit this year and just stomped us pretty hard a week or so back. 
    • that looks good already!!!!!!!!!!! was thinkin of doing that too, why did you cut the dark meat off?????? just asking for future reference!!!!