• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kenai Sockeyes

Just got back from a week fishing the Kenai in Soldotna.  Wow did we time the run of the sockeyes right this year.  Fast and furious action.  We went down to Seward for 1 day of charter fishing and had our limit of halibut, rockfish and silvers by 12:30.  Best Alaskan trip I've been on by far! 

IMG_1123 (2).JPG

Went last year and timed it right as well... Will be going next year again my uncle has a cabin right in Soldotna have not talked to him yet this year but looks like they did well too.

What dates were you up there this year? Did they raise the limits any of the days or did it stay at 3 a day?

All so did they do much emergency netting while you were there?

12345.jpg

333.jpg

15 hours ago, leech~~ said:

What the Heck does this mean?

" All so did they do much emergency netting while you were there? " 

Sometimes they put out an emergency order saying that the commercial guys can net that day usually fishing is not the greatest the day after as they net at the mouth of the river

Last year they did it almost every other day so some days you had to work for your limit

And by work I mean a couple hours most days I could bang my limit out in an hour or less

The last two days I was their though they raised the limit to 6 a day so that was nice I started fishing at 10pm-4am and no crowds and could usually get my daily limit for on day before midnight and the next by 1am or sooner

Just a way to control the number of salmon getting into Skilak lake as they have a certain number they want to hit.

Edited by ZachD

10 hours ago, Crow Hunter said:

I did the trip in 2014 and last year, amazing time, I highly recommend doing it some day. Good Lord willing I will be back up there next July. Here is a pic of a bear fishing the river right across from us in 2014.

kenai_bear.jpg

Did you go to the Russian river at all?

On 8/4/2017 at 2:41 AM, ZachD said:

Went last year and timed it right as well... Will be going next year again my uncle has a cabin right in Soldotna have not talked to him yet this year but looks like they did well too.

What dates were you up there this year? Did they raise the limits any of the days or did it stay at 3 a day?

All so did they do much emergency netting while you were there?

12345.jpg

333.jpg

I was there july 24-31.   The limit was still 3 the entire time.   They shut down the commercial netting from July 23-30, so that probably had a lot to do with our success.  

13 hours ago, Fish Head said:

I was there july 24-31.   The limit was still 3 the entire time.   They shut down the commercial netting from July 23-30, so that probably had a lot to do with our success.  

Nice looks looks like next year I will be there July 13th to July 23nd

adfg almost really screwed up big time this year.  We were way under the escapement goal and the commercial guys had netted almost triple then what was in the river. thats why they had to shut commercial fishing down for that week or so.  search the forums up here and you will see all the hooplah about sporties vs commercial guys. In the end we just got over the escapement goal i believe. We ended up buying a ocean boat this year and i have found trolling for silvers/kings in the ocean is alot more fun then snagging reds with 10,000 of  your closest friends. Plus way less snags!