• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smoker element

Boar

Question

dose anyone know how hot those conversion kit elemnts get. im really considering converting from gas to electric, thos kits are 50 bucks or so. they are 1500 w. and would liek the elment to get to at least 220-250

8 answers to this question

How many cu ft is your smoker? That's a pretty cheap electric kit is it just the element that is controlled manually?

The way to go is PID temperature controller to the element. I have a huge stainless cabinet I am planning on making a smoker since its big and I want to hot smoke in the winter I plan on running 2 elements. One that is manually controlled and the other on a PID. This way I can have the heat of the manual element going and the other element will cycle to maintain temp. I would suggest going the PID route you wont look back if you make sticks or anything that requires different temperature changes you can program it. example I have a program smoker now for sticks 130 1 hour 140 2 hours 150 1.5hours 160 2 hours 170 2.5 hours

I run a 1500w element in a smoker that roughly 8 cu ft and it heats to 280ish on a good day

Hope not to derail the thread but I looked at the PID controllers as I make plans to build my own but was wondering if anyone ever took a range or wall oven and used the control board and hearing elements from that to make a smoker? 

The only drawback I see is that it would need a 220v cord and outlet. But you would have temp, timer, clock etc all integrated and old used ones are cheap or free if you look. 

1 hour ago, rl_sd said:

Since PF started it... I will derail further.... Anyone know where I can get an element for my 30" Masterbuilt? Everywhere online says they are discontinued.

I would try the bay of e  (since the real name is still a prohibited word)  They often have stuff that is old stock that folks still have.  

Edited by delcecchi

13 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Hope not to derail the thread but I looked at the PID controllers as I make plans to build my own but was wondering if anyone ever took a range or wall oven and used the control board and hearing elements from that to make a smoker? 

The only drawback I see is that it would need a 220v cord and outlet. But you would have temp, timer, clock etc all integrated and old used ones are cheap or free if you look. 

You can build a good PID setup for under 40 bucks.

Most oven controllers don't go low enough for some of the stuff I smoke I think these days ones that have a warming setting still only get down to 170ish

You can steal the heating elements from the stove top on electric ranges though