• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fall skid house build, all aluminum. Need input on runners

perchking

Pretty sweet build!  I would've loved to build one instead of buying, but I don't have access to a welder.  I ended up buying an 8x12 +v front aluma lite.  They said it weighs about 800lbs.  Inside is spray foamed.  I plan on adding a light weight bunk, some cedar boards for coat hangers/rattle reels, a Nu Way propane stove, and a battery to run lights.  Should stay pretty light. My ATV pulls it easily, but there is too much snow out here right now.  My 600 RMK sled pulls it, but I feel like long term it will burn up the belt/clutch.  

We have fished out of it twice now and it is pretty nice.  I will be able to go everywhere a wheel house cannot once I sell the sled and get tracks for the ATV.  

8 hours ago, lungdeflator said:

Pretty sweet build!  I would've loved to build one instead of buying, but I don't have access to a welder.  I ended up buying an 8x12 +v front aluma lite.  They said it weighs about 800lbs.  Inside is spray foamed.  I plan on adding a light weight bunk, some cedar boards for coat hangers/rattle reels, a Nu Way propane stove, and a battery to run lights.  Should stay pretty light. My ATV pulls it easily, but there is too much snow out here right now.  My 600 RMK sled pulls it, but I feel like long term it will burn up the belt/clutch.  

We have fished out of it twice now and it is pretty nice.  I will be able to go everywhere a wheel house cannot once I sell the sled and get tracks for the ATV.  

Just curious how much snow is to much for an ATV with chains?

I didn't put my chains on, probably should have.  We have had near record snow out here this year.  The lake is drifted pretty good, so it is hard to dodge the drifts.  I got stuck in a drift about 18" deep, tires dug down to the ice and that was it.  Hooked up to the snowmobile after that.  

I personally think that any amount of snow that is a harder pack and deeper than the ground clearance of the ATV will be a problem, chains or no chains.  You just end up high centered.

Finally have a little time to start working on the house again, I need some expertise for wiring. Please know this is being set up for just Dc power and maybe 4 lights and a small dc fan most likely a ceiling fan. What gauge is everyone using? I also need a recommendation on a good battery, I've been looking at the Trojan brand? Thoughts? 

If you're using LED lights, 16 gauge should be more than enough.  I'm assuming it would be plenty for the ceiling fan as well, but you may want to use 14 gauge because I'm not 100% on that. 

If you're running a furnace in there, I think the manual on mine said to run 12 gauge wire to it, but I don't remember for sure. 

I used 14 gauge for all of my 12v outlets.

The main thing to remember is to use the correct fuse for the wire size you are using.

Thanks Adam.

Here's a question I should have asked before: 

Is there an alternative to solar lights, knowing I will only be fishing a few times into the night per year should I just go with battery powered LED lights?  I live on the lake that the shack will be on and I have no intentions of bringing it anywhere else. Thoughts or recommendations?

I may be misreading the question but solar lights still require a battery.  The solar power is used to charge the battery then run the lights.  I would run 14-16 to the lights, and 12-14 to the fan.  For how cheap wiring is in comparison to the rest of the build I beefed ours up in a few spots just in case I ever wanted to run anything that took a little more juice.  Batteries really depend on how you use them.  You could get many years off a cheap marine battery if you dont run it low and charge it every day.  We just upgraded to two 6v batteries from sams for about 180.  I think its about 200AH, that will get us comfortable through a day, but we run a furnace, plenty of light and a TV/Satellite, so we run the generator every day to top off.  
Looking back at your comment, by battery powered LED's did you mean portable lights that run off AA type batteries?   

Yes, I think I may go through a few sets of batteries per year based on my expected usage. I am thinking 4 lights might be a option vs the expense of solar.

I do however like the idea of solar just not sure I actually need it. Does anyone have a recommendation on a solar kit that would run 4-5 lights and a fan just to circulate the air a little? 

Please, just make up MY mind for me:) 

Realistically measure your payback time.  Your usage would be on the very low end which is good for you because you wouldn't need as much but I could see you needing a 100 dollar panel, a 30-50 dollar controller and 1-200 worth of battery(s).  That being said, portable lights will be a lot cheaper for you for a loooooooong time, but whats the cost of forgetting batteries during a hot bite?  Priceless...:eek:

Hard to say, depends on your fishing habits, do you need a full recharge during the day?  Fishing multiple days in a row, or will you fish once and let it charge through out the week?  I haven't seen enough in use to recommend one over the other but from the hip on what you are planning I would look at something similar to this.  Decent reviews and probably 40-70 AH return per day depending on usage.  Pair it with two 6v batteries from sams and they would probably get you through the weekend no problem without a charge.  Really a dice game without knowing exact usage.  You could either spend more on batteries and downsize solar or spend more on the panel and downsize the battery.  Nice thing is if you wind up with to small of a panel you can usually add on easy enough.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZ5G6ZT/ref=asc_df_B01MZ5G6ZT5122196/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B01MZ5G6ZT&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198107824285&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=504219979223539835&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019558&hvtargid=pla-319377150930

soon there will be no work ever and fish all the time. I do miss coming up but we been going to alot of fishing holes. 10000 miles on a new truck last winter fishing so its not like I was at home much

Trying to source a vent cap for a Empire DV-215 and I was shocked that they wanted $75 for this little flimsy part.  I went to Menard's and they have plenty of them for under 15$ but they need both intake and exhaust which they don't have.

What is everyone else using?  In the big picture it's peanuts, however if I can save a little I will. Sorry for the double pic, not sure what happened.

image.png.2d85c9a9a509cf035082ab0dfeb6c225.pngimage.png.2d85c9a9a509cf035082ab0dfeb6c225.png

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 0:26 PM, perchking said:

What is everyone else using?  In the big picture it's peanuts, however if I can save a little I will. Sorry for the double pic, not sure what happened.

image.png.2d85c9a9a509cf035082ab0dfeb6c225.pngimage.png.2d85c9a9a509cf035082ab0dfeb6c225.png

This furnace has 2 pipes. The larger pipe about 4" is the air intake is supported through ring #29. The smaller pipe inside the larger pipe about 2" is the furnace exhaust connected through the larger ring #30 and screwed to the raised portion of ring #29. My furnace a vintage Hydro Flame Convection with dual direct vent, needed no power, and used a pilot light. Had the identical 2 pipe direct vent as yours. I built 2 rings similar to your drawing. Had 2 major issues:

1. Anytime the wind exceeded 20 mph, my pilot light would blow out even when the furnace side of my house was parked to the leeward side due to wind eddies. 

2. At the exhaust cap which was about 1 3/4" from the side of the house would scorch the side surface above the cap and the moisture from burning Propane (1/2 pt. per 10#) would freeze on and below the exhaust when temp went -10 or below.

Second year I re-designed using the Pipe Cap photo 1 from Menards for under $10. I cut off the bottom half at the black line and cut a hole on the outside flat surface for the exhaust pipe. This was my fresh air intake. Also filled the inside of the cap with a disassembled expanded metal filter from a motor home stove top exhaust filter. 

Photo 1

5997c3aa32165_ExhauseCovercutLine.jpg.564eb0425c1485d626ac20bf093632c3.jpg

Secured it to my house and ran the exhaust pipe through the hole in the end. Attached the exhaust pipe to a 2" x 3" aluminum gutter down spout used as a chimney. Photos 2 and 3. Totally solved my issues. You may also find a similar cap to photo 1 for the exhaust instead of the pipe. Most of the caps I was able to find had a 4" connection point so you would need to modify to 2" or whatever size you exhaust pipe is. How ever you do it, cover all openings with a screen to keep the Mud-daubers out as they love burned propane orifice area to build there nest. 

Photo 2 & 3

20170818_074651_resized.thumb.jpg.077545e263981532d55df3cb68be09df.jpg

20170818_074734_resized.thumb.jpg.9b74902b7a181fa6671c448de5361ab8.jpg

Finally got the spray foam done, turned out ok. My goal initially and still is to just paint the inside to keep the weight down on the shack. I had him spray about 3 inches on the floor and 1.5 on the walls. There is a few places where the foam bulged but it's not to bad. Once the painting is done, I will put up cedar boards up for coat hangers, rattle reels etc... I think I am doing a light gray on the walls with a bright white on the celing. Then I just have to install catch covers, kids bunk, heater, etc...

IMG_3471.JPG

IMG_3472.JPG

IMG_3473.JPG

Nice foam work! Your on the way to having it on the ice this winter!  Are you going to throw in a few vents at the top ends? She looks pretty tight.

On Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 0:06 AM, papadarv said:

This furnace has 2 pipes. The larger pipe about 4" is the air intake is supported through ring #29. The smaller pipe inside the larger pipe about 2" is the furnace exhaust connected through the larger ring #30 and screwed to the raised portion of ring #29. My furnace a vintage Hydro Flame Convection with dual direct vent, needed no power, and used a pilot light. Had the identical 2 pipe direct vent as yours. I built 2 rings similar to your drawing. Had 2 major issues:

1. Anytime the wind exceeded 20 mph, my pilot light would blow out even when the furnace side of my house was parked to the leeward side due to wind eddies.

2. At the exhaust cap which was about 1 3/4" from the side of the house would scorch the side surface above the cap and the moisture from burning Propane (1/2 pt. per 10#) would freeze on and below the exhaust when temp went -10 or below.

Second year I re-designed using the Pipe Cap photo 1 from Menards for under $10. I cut off the bottom half at the black line and cut a hole on the outside flat surface for the exhaust pipe. This was my fresh air intake. Also filled the inside of the cap with a disassembled expanded metal filter from a motor home stove top exhaust filter.

Photo 1

5997c3aa32165_ExhauseCovercutLine.jpg.564eb0425c1485d626ac20bf093632c3.jpg

Secured it to my house and ran the exhaust pipe through the hole in the end. Attached the exhaust pipe to a 2" x 3" aluminum gutter down spout used as a chimney. Photos 2 and 3. Totally solved my issues. You may also find a similar cap to photo 1 for the exhaust instead of the pipe. Most of the caps I was able to find had a 4" connection point so you would need to modify to 2" or whatever size you exhaust pipe is. How ever you do it, cover all openings with a screen to keep the Mud-daubers out as they love burned propane orifice area to build there nest.

Photo 2 & 3

20170818_074651_resized.thumb.jpg.077545e263981532d55df3cb68be09df.jpg

20170818_074734_resized.thumb.jpg.9b74902b7a181fa6671c448de5361ab8.jpg

Hey, papa. What's the inside of that rig look like?

Edited by leech~~

30 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Nice foam work! Your on the way to having it on the ice this winter!  Are you going to throw in a few vents at the top ends? She looks pretty tight.

Hey, papa. What's the inside of that rig look like?

Do you recommend them leech? I do have 3 windows and the empire Heater will be vented. 

1 hour ago, perchking said:

Do you recommend them leech? I do have 3 windows and the empire Heater will be vented. 

For sleeping at night I like at least the small round ones, one behind the heater to let in some fresh air to the burner and one at the other end top to let out any fums and moister that builds up.