• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pike Repellent

RuddyDuck

I know this has come up in the past, but what type of leaders do you guys like to use to prevent bite offs, especially for jigs?  Nothing, old style leaders, wire,  heavy flouro??

As a cheap option, has anyone tried just heavy mono? I know I might have to re-tie if it survives a pike, but curious if anyone has tried that. I just bought some 40lb big game and was gonna toy with that to see if it works. Just have to figure out a good knot for that heavy stuff or use those small clamps.

Thanks for the input.

I don't use any kind of leader fishing jigs, and I fish in the NW and North Central part of the state where most of the lakes are positively overrun with pike. I also buy jigs a dozen at a time... :)

Leaders cost me bites, especially in the clear water I fish, and even more than that, the knots, etc., pick up weeds, which drives me batty. If I did add a leader, it'd be a knotable wire like knot2kinky or Cortland Toothy critter, and it doesn't need to be long at all - 4 inches is plenty.

I jig with 16# fluoro most of the time, which helps a little, but I still go through a lot of jigs. I chalk it up to the price of doing business.

I prefer to use 30lb Tyger Tieable Leader (now Umpqua) for Horny Toads and swimbaits.  I also used it with a punch rig last year with limited success.  I don't punch very often, but having the leader very well might have saved the rig a couple of times when I did encounter pike.  

Edited by Search Function

On 3/16/2016 at 6:31 AM, delmuts said:

Del.

What brand tie able do you use and what kind of knots?  Need/ want some thing other than a reg. leader. Thanks!

Any of the thin multistrand should work.  I think it was toothy critter, like 15 lb. There is a 49 strand in somewhat larger, higher test.

On 3/12/2016 at 10:02 AM, RuddyDuck said:

As a cheap option, has anyone tried just heavy mono? I know I might have to re-tie if it survives a pike, but curious if anyone has tried that. I just bought some 40lb big game and was gonna toy with that to see if it works. Just have to figure out a good knot for that heavy stuff or use those small clamps.

Ok, I put my "poor man's" leader into action last night. I was pumped to see it work. First pike hit, lasted about 5 seconds more than regular 15lb line before I was cut off! Rod loaded up tugged a few times and then that was it.

Guess that was an epic fail. Stuff sure seems thick in your hand. Anyone need a spool of 40lb mono? :)

I think the best pike repellent is Lucky Craft crankbaits usually ones priced over $12.99, also expensive swimbaits.........wait, I think that was supposed to be money pits when fishing in pikeville.

If and when I do anything it's a smaller wire leader, usually as skinny as I can get so probably less lb test rating than my main line I think.  Well....ok around 12lb so same as my main line on a lot of rods.

23 hours ago, RuddyDuck said:

Ok, I put my "poor man's" leader into action last night. I was pumped to see it work. First pike hit, lasted about 5 seconds more than regular 15lb line before I was cut off! Rod loaded up tugged a few times and then that was it.

Guess that was an epic fail. Stuff sure seems thick in your hand. Anyone need a spool of 40lb mono? :)

I've seen pike bite through 60 and 90# fluoro like it's 4# mono. If you can cut it with a scissors, they can bite through it.