• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do you do for ice fishing TV/Internet entertainment in the shack?

randingo

On 3/14/2016 at 9:55 AM, Moon Lake Refuge said:

I used to have verizon and was hands down the best service I have ever seen anywhere.  The only reason I have sprint now is because I have the unlimited data plan.  Only downside is that doesn't extend to hot spots, but with a cord I can hook up to a TV and anything I stream on my phone plays on the TV also.

I am grandfathered in with Verizons unlimited data plan and 700 shared talk minutes. I messaged them last week and was told my plan does not include the hotspot, if I wanted it the cost would be $30.00 per month. I will not pay that being it is not something I need all the time. The only time I need wireless access is for the fish house  using a smart tv or when I am at my Mom's house where I also have a smart tv. Are you saying all I need is a USB cable from my phone to the tv and I will be able to watch Netflix and others for free? If so how long do they make the cables that would connect my phone to the smart tv?

12 hours ago, elkrivermn said:

I am grandfathered in with Verizons unlimited data plan and 700 shared talk minutes. I messaged them last week and was told my plan does not include the hotspot, if I wanted it the cost would be $30.00 per month. I will not pay that being it is not something I need all the time. The only time I need wireless access is for the fish house  using a smart tv or when I am at my Mom's house where I also have a smart tv. Are you saying all I need is a USB cable from my phone to the tv and I will be able to watch Netflix and others for free? If so how long do they make the cables that would connect my phone to the smart tv?

Depends on what kind of phone but yeah.  With my Iphone it just plugs into my phone and converts to HDMI.  not sure how long they come, mine is 6 foot but once its HDMI i would imagine you could just get an HDMI extension from there.  Go into best buy or look them up, not to spendy.  I would send a pic but ours is up at the lake and I wont be there for a couple months.

If you start buying cables go on line. Mark up on those at Best Buy etc is humungus. I just bought 2-75 ft HDMI cables for $60 online, I bet Best Buy would a minimum of $400. In fact I just saw a 40 footer on their page for $1200!

No wifi available so I use the antenna on the fish house because I am not a satellite customer. My house is equipped with a connection outside so I can hookup a tailgater type unit at some point. Otherwise I watch dvds as mentioned, using hotspots would be fine if you have good signal but that doesn't seem to be to reliable.

3 hours ago, Hawg said:

If you start buying cables go on line. Mark up on those at Best Buy etc is humungus. I just bought 2-75 ft HDMI cables for $60 online, I bet Best Buy would a minimum of $400. In fact I just saw a 40 footer on their page for $1200!

Bestbuy is the amazon show room.  Head in to see what you want then purchase online!

10 hours ago, Moon Lake Refuge said:

Depends on what kind of phone but yeah.  With my Iphone it just plugs into my phone and converts to HDMI.  not sure how long they come, mine is 6 foot but once its HDMI i would imagine you could just get an HDMI extension from there.  Go into best buy or look them up, not to spendy.  I would send a pic but ours is up at the lake and I wont be there for a couple months.

Thanks for the info, I will research best buy. My phone is a droid turbo so I suspect it would be able to plug in. Sweet baby Jesus there might be hope yet :)

14 hours ago, elkrivermn said:

Thanks for the info, I will research best buy. My phone is a droid turbo so I suspect it would be able to plug in. Sweet baby Jesus there might be hope yet :)

I think the android cords might actually even be cheaper than the iphone cords.  Hope it works out for you!

Holy cow, a DTV $5 receiver is as easy as it gets, you guys must all have unlimited data. Just remember that Sprint (the biggies in unlimited data)doesn't hardly work in town let alone on some remote lake. 

22 minutes ago, Hawg said:

Holy cow, a DTV $5 receiver is as easy as it gets, you guys must all have unlimited data. Just remember that Sprint (the biggies in unlimited data)doesn't hardly work in town let alone on some remote lake. 

I have sprint and get pretty solid service most places I go.  We fish smaller lakes up by alexandria and I have great signal up there.  Fingers crossed that it keeps up!

If you think your over paying and have been with a company a long time call them and say your gonna switch to another.  They will give you a discount, usually 6 months, and then call back after 6 months and to it over and over etc.  You can expect about 30% less and sometimes they will throw in extra movie channels

On March 16, 2016 at 7:46 PM, elkrivermn said:

The answer is yes! Any of the subscription services (Amazon video, Netflix, Hulu,etc) can be played from your phone to the TV with either an HDMI or RCA cable.  These cables can be purchased for $30, but make sure to buy a genuine Apple cable or it won't work

10 hours ago, Moon Lake Refuge said:

I have sprint and get pretty solid service most places I go.  We fish smaller lakes up by alexandria and I have great signal up there.  Fingers crossed that it keeps up!

Yup, from what I have hear from friends with sprint the best way to judge service is by the interstate road system. Once you get more than 25 miles from an interstate it goes to service goes to hell in hurry