• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mdha members vote down Xbow support

Apparently the MDHA membership voted down support for xbow full inclusion in the archery season.  Personally I like how our xbow rules are now.  I was surprised that they voted it down (56%-44%) since it was one of their chapters that brought it up and they have typically embraced any form of liberalization of hunting rules.

SmellEsox, it is a little surprising it didn't pass given that it came from within, but on the other hand I'm not surprised it didn't pass.  There's little doubt that there's a lot of animosity towards xbows from many in the archery world.  No need/point to discussing or rehashing that here IMO, but I don't think there's any denying it's there for many. 

I've never had anything to do with a crossbow in my life prior to the past month.  However, my little girl wants to turkey hunt this spring and she can't pull 30 lbs back yet, so I rounded up a crossbow for her.  I'm thrilled she has an option to use one and I sure hope I can put a bird in front of her with xbow at the ready. 

I had no idea how much animosity archers had against Xbows until this issue made it to our state.  What's odd/funny/ironic to me is most of the arguments against xbows - outside of the bickering over if they should be classified as archery or firearms equipment - may come to fruition anyway. The main arguments seemed to be:

1) It will add too many hunters in woods during the archery season

2) This will shift too much of the harvest to archery, which may result in a shortened archery season due to firearms hunters complaining there are too few deer.

I say that may come to fruition anyway because at least in my own experience, more and more guys I talk to have started bow hunting in recent years. And many aren't hard-core hunters. The longer season, typically during warmer and the ability to hunt closer to the Metro seems to be the big appeal. I doubt archery enthusiasts and organizations are trying to discourage people from picking up a bow, so the arguments against Xbows ring a little hollow to me.

Good points Getanet.  One of the arguments to add Xbows is to recruit hunters.  I don't think there is a problem with recruiting bowhunters in MN.  There are way more bowhunters now than there was 20 years ago according to DNR info.

4 hours ago, SmellEsox said:

Apparently the MDHA membership voted down support for xbow full inclusion in the archery season.  Personally I like how our xbow rules are now.  I was surprised that they voted it down (56%-44%) since it was one of their chapters that brought it up and they have typically embraced any form of liberalization of hunting rules.

It's John Cummings from the Brainerd Chapter that has been pushing this.  He just happens to be in the MDHA, possibly for just this reason.  He came from Wisconsin and was "Instrumental" in getting the inclusion allowed there.

To me, it just seems like he's adopted this as his personal mission in life, all other opinions be darned.  

I don't believe there are any truly disenfranchised bow hunters out there; there are only those that want to hunt more with less effort.

i hunt with both bows, verticle and horizontal,  and  certanly dont see anyless effort.using the horizontal. not implying here, but their needs to be more education on the xbow use. its certainly not the rifle.that shoots arrows some think its to be.  garuanty anyone a steak dinner that standing side by side at 40 yards verticle bows will out shoot me in groups with my crossbow. im prtty accurate off hand at 20 but after that, my groups start to open up alot, due in part with alot of front end weight. much like a rifle. plus one is using a very heavy bolt, and beyound 40 accuracy certianly wains and penetration deminishes. now off a table i can hit botle caps at 30 yards but i bet so can alot of u verticle.users. i dont feel ther is a need to introduce the xbow into the archery season, if it was to happen, yud see a quick rise in lisence sales but after awhile it would slowly taper.off. i like tha over.a certain age one can use it in the archery season. legal.for.bear, turkey, and during the rifle.season. im happy with that.

Personally I hope they do not allow crossbows in the archery season, I'd have no problem if xbow season started on rifle's opening date and went through to years end, the true diehards that love it or have heat in their stands will do it the rest won't. They need to get it right the first time is a hope of mine.