• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where to find some Bullet proof lug nuts!

I'm so sick of these GM craapy lug nuts with the "Tin Foil" jacket of the top of them rounding off! Have them on my 2009 Saturn Vue and the last Blazer I had.

Anyone have a suggestion on some good solid lug nuts that wouldn't leave you in the middle of no where tiring to change a tire! :eek:

I tried a set of the after market ones at Autozone and they are already rusting since this fall when I put them on. :(

One thing I don't need to do when it's 20- below coming back on a Sunday night on the side of a road is play with my Nuts! :mad:

2028982-007.jpg

Edited by leech~~

I forgot to add....when ya put 'em on, use a dab of anti-seize, or at least a drop of motor oil. After doing about 10,000 wheel changes and brake jobs, you get real tired of wasting time heating yer nuts with a torch and busting studs. :tired:  :lol:

Edited by RebelSS

You are looking for "acorn" style lug nuts. We get them from ATD and always have them in stock especially for jeep/Chrysler.

With proper maintenance along with proper torque you should never have to anti-sieze or oil a lug nut/stud. If you do decide to use it the slightest amount is more than enough. Nothing worse than rotating a set of tires and looking like the tin man because the customer liberally applied some anti-sieze!

45 minutes ago, Jeremy airjer W said:

You are looking for "acorn" style lug nuts. We get them from ATD and always have them in stock especially for jeep/Chrysler.

With proper maintenance along with proper torque you should never have to anti-sieze or oil a lug nut/stud. If you do decide to use it the slightest amount is more than enough. Nothing worse than rotating a set of tires and looking like the tin man because the customer liberally applied some anti-sieze!

Yes they are acorn style. So what is the proper lug nut maintenance? I seem to have the most problem after you "auto guys" get done doing some work and torque them back on! ;)

Has anyone heard anything about the lugs with the Spline Drive in them? I heard you shouldn't use a impact wrench on them but they look like they may have some good grab? You just have to make sure you always have the socket with you.

k2-_7d387fe1-da80-45e1-90c0-be7636c3d2dc.v1.jpg

12 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Yes they are acorn style. So what is the proper lug nut maintenance? I seem to have the most problem after you "auto guys" get done doing some work and torque them back on! ;)

That is because you have chuckle heads doing the work. I assure you there are auto professionals who will treat your vehicle with respect and properly torque your lug nuts to spec EVERY TIME a wheel comes of. with proper rotation schedules, proper torque, and a little wash maintenance on the owners part, and there should never be a problem getting lug nuts off and on.

As far as the lug nuts you are asking about, forget it. Your "auto guys" will have the socket broken in no time flat not to mewntioin they will hate you every time they have to hunt down the socket and pull off a wheel.  Stick with the standard one piece chrome acorns and life will be much easier.

Thanks Jeremy. I have another question for you. This whole lug nut thing started as I have an ABS light on. The micnic who checked it wrote Right rear wheel speed sensor not reading. I was sure it was a speed sensor issue but not which one. He did not write Driver side rear wheel or Passenger side rear wheel just right rear. Would you say that was from the front of the car then Driver side rear or the rear of the car Passenger side rear wheel? Hate to tare into both! :(

Ok I went with the Right rear going from the front. When the micnic did his testing for the ABS fault it came up with a low battery not giving enough voltage at start up to the ABS system. I had that replaced but ABS light still on! He more or less after that gave up and said he could not find the short. When he did his final test report that he gave me at the bottom of all the codes list it said right rear speed sensor not reading. I thought before I bring it in to the Chev dealer I will check the right rear sensor myself. "Findings" Door knob forgot to plug it back in! I plugged it in and the light went away. So he may have been right about the low battery but when you forget to plug sensors back in-you can't find a short that's Not There! :crazy: 

So I may still buy tires from them but they will never work on my cars again!

So back to the OP Lugs Nuts! :lol:

Edited by leech~~

My newer Ford:  I ran into a case of the tin foil covered lug nut that went from 3/4" to 18mm when I forced the wrapping off of it. 

I bought 20 solid steel, chrome plated lug nuts off hsolist for $14.  Good buy tin foil-leave me stranded on the side of the road-lug nuts!