• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice auger holder for atv

RoldGold

Wondering what everyone uses for hauling their auger on their ATV.  I've read some people use gun mounts, but I'm concerned about their durability.  I've also considered making my own, but not sure how to lay things out.  Hoping to get by without spending $80.  Thanks!

Ive been using gun mounts for a few years without trouble.  Keep in mind I do not fly across the lake and pretty much take it easy on all my stuff.  I use 3 koplin gun mounts, the handle goes in 2 and the auger 1, You do have to rotate the auger so the flights fit correctly.

I just got the Kolpin Ice Auger mount to replace the gun mounts.  I like stuff that lasts and will withstand the beatings of rough ice and sub zero temps.  The gun mounts broke on me last year.  

This Kolpin one is all metal, and so far seems very sturdy.  I put some rags in between the mount and auger to reduce the friction, rubbing, and soften the bumps a little.

Honestly, for 10$ I think a guy could make a good mount out of 2x4s.  That way you can drill the holes and mount it where you want it.  

I'm on the ice everyday and rack the auger over and over while drill testing, adjusting, and changing blades. 

For that I need a rack that is quick,  easy,  and secure.  I've recommended Digger Auger Rack for some time now.   I've made my own racks too and will always appreciate the ingenuity of home built equipment.   That is how Digger came about so if your looking to buy I'd get the Digger.   For those of you that are inventors, keep at it because your idea might become the latest and greatest.