• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

battery charger

Capt'nMorgan

What kind of battery chargers do you use to charge the deep cycle batterys in a wheel house? I have been using a schumacher speed charger but my batterys don't hold a charge after a year. I returned last winter and now this winter its junk again. Wrong charger or bad battries? was using a group 31 battery. I know people that use a regular car charger automatic style and have no issues. Thats what I used the first year  than i bought the speed charger which goes down to 1.5amps. I have done some research and don't know which way I should go now. Also I person told me to go the Agm battery from Cabelas. your thoughts. Thanks 

"Speed charging" is the death of deep-cycles. You're literally cooking the battery to death, without going into great detail. Deep cycles last longest if they are "phase charged", ie; charged in "stages", and then put on a maintenance charge. Best thing to do is get one of the newer "smart chargers" that charge in steps and maintain. They work great on AGM, Gel, or Flooded (LA) batteries. I have two Interstate gr 31's that are now 7 years old and still going strong. I chalk it up to proper charging.

This is what I just recently bought for my battery.  I spent the $$ and bought a 125AH AGM battery just for peace of mind and less maintenance.  Although they are more money up front, AGM are far superior to regular wet deep cycle marine batteries.  Totally contained so you don't ever have to worry about a vent for gassing, spills, or filling with water.  They are a little more picky on their charge voltages (have to keep below 14.4V) but are well worth their cost in my opinion. 

http://www.vmaxtanks.com/BC1215A-12V-15A-7-Stage-Smart-Battery-Charger-Maintainer_p_71.html 

5 hours ago, RebelSS said:

"Speed charging" is the death of deep-cycles. You're literally cooking the battery to death, without going into great detail. Deep cycles last longest if they are "phase charged", ie; charged in "stages", and then put on a maintenance charge. Best thing to do is get one of the newer "smart chargers" that charge in steps and maintain. They work great on AGM, Gel, or Flooded (LA) batteries. I have two Interstate gr 31's that are now 7 years old and still going strong. I chalk it up to proper charging.

I'd like to add that you make sure to check your electrolyte level regularly to keep it above the top of the plates. It can evaporate faster than you think. Use distilled water to refill when it gets low filling to about 1/2" from the top.

Also, don't allow it to sit at less than full charge. Always recharge after every use. Batteries that sit at partial charge won't like it very much.