• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pheasant Season Report Card

With the season done, I'd be interested to know your grade for it. I give mine an A. I've only been doing this 6 years, but this was my best season yet. My lab really hit her stride...and some preseason time at the range helped me connect more than last year. We saw birds every time out, even as season ended. (I hunt public land only in Central Mn.)

I was surprised by the lack of hunters encountered, especially for as nice of weather as we had, (How awesome was that?) I think the nice weather kept the birds from bunching up in heavy cover, although I did flush some roosters out of heavy cover way earlier than I would have thought.

Of course, though, the best part was hitting the fields with family and friends! As I write this on the first Saturday after the season has ended, I think my lab already is looking at me and asking "When can we go again?" October is a long way off, girl. Maybe we will have to hit a game farm in a month or so.

And you?

I thought it was a great year as well,  we hunted areas north of 94 to South of I90 and saw birds every time out. I'll give it an A as well on every aspect of the fall except my shooting this year was really sporadic.  The high winds really messed with the kid and I, so I'll give our shooting percentage -B.

We hunted private and public and we're not disappointed at all this year, just wish it wouldn't go by so fast.

I also give it a A. Put a lot of miles on mine and the dogs feet hunted all different parts of the state but did notice more birds west but that's usally the case. Around central mn I have to admit I wasn't personally impressed not the numbers of birds I usally encounter. Hunting pressure was crazy out in Western mn public lands hand more hunters than I usally encounter. Locally I didn't encounter near as many. Surpriseingly I did encounter some good pockets in fact twice I had covey flushes were 5-8 roosters got up at one time. The highlight was watching my lab she's 6 now and has hit her prime. She also is waiting for next year as I am. Now I just fool her and take for good walks in the swamps she still thinks we r hunting. :) Should be good in 20016. Cant wait for next year!

I'll say this as kinda of a rookie.....lol...63 yrs  old

This was the first season I hunted in over 25 yrs probably closer to 30

I went out the Yellow medicine  Lyon Lincoln counties

Just me no dog , but was impressed with the number of birds I saw ,all though I got skunked it was nobody's fault

but mine the few shots I got I missed no excuses easy shots 25 yrs ago those birds would dead on the ground

So I'm looking at dogs and going to do some trap shooting this summer hopefully get my eye back

The thrill of flushing birds and watching them glide over the hill is wayyyyyy cool   still !!!!!!

Kinda part 2 of this topic is now looking at what we're seeing this Spring and I'd say so far so good where my travels take me, seeing, actually now hearing a lot of cackling compared to years past. Even the broken leg/foot idk rooster survived Winter, saw him limping around figured he was an edible but he made it somehow. Now the clincher is the nesting period of time and fairing good there weather wise.