• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Youth Bow

cat44

Looking for opinions on a quality youth bow for my son. He's ten now, soon to be eleven.  I want to buy him one that he will be able to shoot and hunt with for a few years.  He has a bow now, but has grown out of it, and it doesn't meet the minimum draw weight requirements to archery hunt in Minnesota.  I've seen bow packages at Fleet, Gander, and even Wal-mart that offer a big draw length adjustment as well as draw weights. But I really don't know if purchasing one of these "packages" is the best option.  Looking to get him one for Christmas.  Any insight is appreciated!  Thanks.....and good luck to all of you in the woods, hunt safe!

Please, please, please don't buy from Fleet, Gander or Wall Mart. Go to a real archery pro shop.

There are several mfg of youth bows on the market that your son can shoot for years. Most now have draw lengths from 15-30" and draw weights from 20-70 lbs. that are easily changed with no specialty tools required.

Let the pros set you up and you'll be good to go for years with nice quality gear at reasonable prices.

I bought all of mine from Scheels. I wouldn't go anywhere else for my next bow purchase. The archery department manager knows his stuff. And I watched him one time talk a dad out of buying his very young son an expensive bow until he tried something more entry level to see if he liked it first. I've also supported our local pro shop, buying arrows and accessories there too. I'd go where you will get good knowledge and service. Good luck. And don't overlook used bows from the right store/shop. Might be able to get more for your money that way too.

Maybe its different in out-state stores, but I agree with Donbo that you will be the best advice and the best support from a bow shop over a big box store. 

As far as quality youth bows, it has been discussed numerous times so do a search for more info than you can read in a day. My daughter has a Mission bow and I would recommend them to anyone. It will meet all your needs. Hoyt and Diamond also have good bows for youth. 

Have your son shoot as many as possible to find the one that fits and shoots the best for him. Make it fun and then tell him they are all too expensive and maybe next year. That way you get to shop and he gets to shoot. 

Great info guys, thank you!  DonBo I completely agree with you.  I think the packages at the big box stores may be alright for target shooting, I don't think they'd make for a quality set up for hunting.  Also, having the opportunity to have someone from a pro shop to assist you would be great.

DonBos advice is solid. However there is occasionally a guy at an archery place who isn't great. But the odds of someone who doesn't know squat setting up a bow at a big box stores is quite high. I know four people who I will let touch my bow- that's it. 2 are at Scheels, 1 is my bro, and another is a friend. I won't let anyone else at all. Plus, it's not sure specific in part, it's person specific. The two guys at Scheels I trust can work on it, but nobody else there. 

I bought my 10 year old a mission craze and he and I are both very happy with it.