• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MDDI at it again

Truth hurts!  Time to start taking the herd management into the hands of the hunters.  Just because the DNR says I can shoot unlimited does in zone 601 doesn't mean I should.  If I want a population of deer I need to control what I shoot.  I've passed the matriarch doe for the past three years on the property I hunt.  She's had triplets each of the past three years.  That's 9 additional deer right there for starters...

Edited by daydreamer

First two are pretty good. Last one is lame. Final score, 8 out 10.

These aren't mine, didn't have anything to do with making them and I know I can't do better.  Seems like maybe you could do better, care to try and share your ideas? 

And I kind of like the last one.  Probably my best chance at putting some venison in the freezer this year.

These aren't mine, didn't have anything to do with making them and I know I can't do better.  Seems like maybe you could do better, care to try and share your ideas? 

And I kind of like the last one.  Probably my best chance at putting some venison in the freezer this year.

I know they're not yours and never said they were. I've seen these on Facebook before, but if I hadn't, the title of your post would have been my first clue. The last one is just lame and doesn't make sense. Is hunting deer because you like to eat venison supposed to be a bad thing? 

Is hunting deer because you like to eat venison supposed to be a bad thing? 

Depends on who you talk to! I almost feel guilty about taking my kids hunting with the hopes of them getting a deer. Not really, but you get the point!

I know they're not yours and never said they were. I've seen these on Facebook before, but if I hadn't, the title of your post would have been my first clue. The last one is just lame and doesn't make sense. Is hunting deer because you like to eat venison supposed to be a bad thing? 

No.

Shooting too many deer (that may be the only doe you see) and using the excuse that your are doing so because you need the venison and then pass up a fresh roadkill is supposed to be a bad thing.

There is a golden opportunity in front of the hunting public to lay off does for one more year.  We just came off a mild winter.  With one more mild winter and some restraint in the neighborhood, we could start taking deer again without detrimentally impacting the herd. 

Starts with each person.  When this season is over, I know I can look back on it with a clear conscience knowing I took my finger off the trigger. 

Shoot all the deer that are legal and fill your desires , doe, fawn, small buck ,  monster buck enjoy your season there will always be plenty of deer , populations are up from weather and limited DNR tags , if they issue them you may as well use them for your enjoyment . Doesn't matter one way or another you cannot shoot all the deer . Fear mongering about a whitetail crash has been pushed for years usually by groups with an agenda to feather their own nest . A good portion push for restraint as they fill their freezers in silence if they can get you to pass all the more for them . Enjoy your season any way your happy . Isnt that right buck

Shoot all the deer that are legal and fill your desires , doe, fawn, small buck ,  monster buck enjoy your season there will always be plenty of deer , populations are up from weather and limited DNR tags , if they issue them you may as well use them for your enjoyment . Doesn't matter one way or another you cannot shoot all the deer . Fear mongering about a whitetail crash has been pushed for years usually by groups with an agenda to feather their own nest . A good portion push for restraint as they fill their freezers in silence if they can get you to pass all the more for them . Enjoy your season any way your happy . Isnt that right buck

Hmmm.....this doesn't sound like an agenda, does it? Imagine that, a farmer telling everyone to shoot ALL the deer they are legally entitled to. Sounds like sound wildlife management practices to me....NOT!!! :crazy:

There is a golden opportunity in front of the hunting public to lay off does for one more year.  We just came off a mild winter.  With one more mild winter and some restraint in the neighborhood, we could start taking deer again without detrimentally impacting the herd. 

Starts with each person.  When this season is over, I know I can look back on it with a clear conscience knowing I took my finger off the trigger. 

I agree a low harvest this year, especially on does, is going to be beneficial to the herd. But realistically that decision has already been made for a lot of people due to an increase in bucks only or lottery  areas with few doe tags given out. For example, my area hasn't been lottery in 20+ years and this year none of the 10 guys in our group got a permit. So, hopefully we can have at least one more decent winter, which combined with a forced low doe harvest, should turn things around quickly.

So, hopefully we can have at least one more decent winter, which combined with a forced low doe harvest, should turn things around quickly.

Sure hope you're right.  My area was just starting to recover, but its now Managed after one year of H.C.  One or two more years of H.C. combined with a decent winter or two and things would have been looking pretty good.  With any luck, the hunters here will practice some trigger restraint on does 

I'm just itching to take my first archery deer but I still passed up the two does that have twin fawns every year....this year and last...and passed on shots on a couple of fawns.  I'm not necessarily waiting for a buck, but a dry doe, old doe or doe with no fawn (or a buck) would do.  Of course all the other stars still have to align...but I'll wait!

Love the MeMe's