• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is a good cable lock for tree stand stands and trail cameras?

Hey guys,

I need recommendations on good cable locks to secure my tree stand or trail cam from theft.  Something that isn't so easy to cut, but yet has no issues with unlocking in the cold weather with the key.

I have always just used a simple cable lock that you can buy at most hardware stores, they come in a three pack and have never had any issues with them as far not unlocking. I figure that these are only a deterrent, if someone is hell bent on steeling your stuff, there probably is not a cable lock out there that will keep them from doing so.  

41DIjVU1tpL__SX300_.jpg

Totally agree with Icehole.

I use the same basic cable lock and they work fine for my climbing stand.  It prevents people from walking off with your stand if they just happen to walk by it.  However, if they come back with bolt cutters there isn't much you can do to prevent that.  You just have to hope they are too lazy to go get the cutter and come back.

I use a climbing stand and only lock it to the tree for a few days during rifle season.  I carry it in opening morning and then leave it in the filed until my hunting trip is over so there isn't a lot of time for people to find it and come back with a cutter.  I have however thought about using one of those solid metal U-Locks and locking both halves of my climbing stand together.  They could cut the cable locking it to the tree but the stand would be useless to them with the U-lock locking the two halves together and it would be pretty awkward to carry out of the woods like that.

I've got the same above as well.  the one thing I do is take down all trail markers out to my stand. I leave my stand up all year in public and only have trail markers out during the season. I don't usually mark my 1st tree until well off the main trail where it can't be seen and stop marking my trail before I can see my stand. If worried about finding your trail or stand using this method, find some glow tacks and tack them as high as you can reach...where people tend not to flash their lights. 

All add that I use the cheapest ladder stands I can buy, typically you can find them for $70 at menards for two person. They get locked but also weight a ton and are bolted together. It would be humorous to see some steal it.If someone finds it and wants to use it, so be it...I know the rules  but the seat and back cushions are missing as I bring them out daily. My nice climber and hand-on come out daily if I go that route.

Edited by ClownColor

I do the same thing when marking trails. Trails don't get marked until well off the road and the marking stops sporadically when there is some sort of obvious natural land marks that help keep me on the trail.  I will usually mark the entry point to my trail with some sort of natural marker (two stones laid next to each other or a couple of birch logs laid across each other) and I only use the reflective tacks to mark the trail itself.  I don't worry about what height I place them at though since they'll light up from a long ways out so even if I placed them as high as I can reach they'll probably still reflect.

Using cheap heavy stands is probably a good idea if you plan to leave them out.  The weight isn't a huge deal if you only plan to move them once but they make it harder for thieves to haul away quickly.

I've also thought about leaving a sign on my stand the says "Your photo was just taken by a hidden trail camera pointed at this stand, stealing it would be a foolish choice."  Probably no need to even set up the trail camera, just giving a thief a reason to second guess his decision might be enough for him to move on to another stand.

I have used a GPS in the past but on opening morning when I'm carrying my climbing stand, a small pack, and my rifle I don't like having to also have the GPS out to see where I'm going.  Its just too much to carry without enough hands.

Same here. Tried using GPS one time and I spent the first 45 minutes of opening deer season on a log 100 yards from my tree stand. First I lost signal, then it just couldn't put me close enough to see it in the dark. It's a valid option though if you are comfortable with your area.

Last year I had to use GPS since they had come through and clear cut the entire area I had scouted a week before the season.  All my trails and landmarks where gone.  It worked but it wasn't easy and I still had to reroute myself several times as I would run into large piles of logs and limbs left in the field.  It was the longest and hardest  1/4 mile walk of my life while walking on ground that was completely covered by downed logs and tree limbs that were covered by a 1/2 inch of slippery snow.

Here's what I did and this would only work for some stands, I have one that you can screw in a T bolt into the tree and hand the stand on it, on both sides of that notch I drilled a hole.  I run a 1/2" lag bolt through the one and a 3/8" lag in the other.  It holds my stand to the tree very nice and if any wanted to try to steal it they are going to need to have a socket set with them just to get the different size bolts out.

I have screwed my trail cameras to the tree as well.  I place a washer of the screw head and run them through the battery compartment and into the tree, make sure the tree is big enough so they can't get a good back kick on it and you're good to go.  I usually set mine about 5 -6' off the ground also and that helps to.