• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winterize/Blow out

Powerstroke

Its halfway through September and I know some of you area already done camping for the season. Its time to start thinking about getting the camper winterized. 

I know I fall victim every year to waiting until the last minute because I think I may squeak in one more weekend or overnight trip. 

I have always been an " air blowout" kind of guy. I have a smaller camper and either the antifreeze or the air would work, but I see no reason to pump several gallons of antifreeze through the camper and then drain it out in the spring. I use an air hose adapter at the pressure water fill and use a tire fill adapter to control the air pressure so not to over-pressureize the system. When no more water comes from the faucets or drains, I add antifreeze to the P-traps and call it good. In the 6 years of doing this I only had one issue where some water was left in a faucet and a mixing valve froze and broke. I had to replace a $30 bath faucet. Not too bad. 

Anybody else have any easy tips for winterizing?

I am on my 4th RV or camper. I have always just opened everything up and air blown it out. I use two jugs of "pink Stuff" in all the sink, shower traps and toilet and done! Never had a problem with pipes. I think some folks go a little over board. Water can't freeze if it's not there! ;)

i blow it out with an air compressor and add the pink stuff to all the lines and traps toilets etc and have had no problems. the 15 bucks spent on the pink stuff is well worth knowing no problems come spring.

but then this will be my last fall doing it as we are done with campers!!!!!!!!!! hoping to sell it next spring.

I have an adapter at the pump.  I use roughly 1.5 gallons of the pinks stuff to winterize our RV.  It is a 2008 and we have had it since new.  Never an issues.  BTW we have a hot water tank bypass so we just pull the plug on that.

Great point on the water heater Upnorth. I make sure to remove the anode rod too. You make sure the water has drained, you open the water heater up so any remaining water can evaporate and you get to examine the condition of the anode rod. They are cheap and designed to be the weak link so your water heater tank doesn't corrode. 

I also take dryer sheets and cut them into strips, usualy 3 strips from a single dryer sheet, and place them throughout the camper and near the doors and any areas that may allow rodents to enter. Mice don't like the dryer sheets. I've never had a mouse problem since employing that little trick. Also makes the camper smell nice after sitting closed up for 6 months.