• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

CANADIAN BACON

What size is the loin?  Is it a pork tenderloin?  Then is would be ok.  If it's a boneless pork loin, how large is the piece?  I don't use tenderquick for Canadian bacon but it could work.  It's used mainly in a dry brine.  But if you have cure#1 I would go with Pop's brine.  good luck.

This is what I use.  It's a recipe created by a guy named Thirdeye and It works great.

~~~~~~~~thirdeye's Tenderquick Cure for Buckboard Bacon~~~~~~~~

Per ONE pound of pork loin or boneless pork butt:

1 Tablespoon of Tenderquick

1 teaspoon of brown sugar

1 teaspoon of maple sugar

Sprinkle of black pepper to the meat before adding the curing mixture, maybe a little more after the soak-out (this is discussed below)

(I think the Hi Mountain Buckboard cure has a hint of garlic powder in it too, but the label does not mention it, so if you want to add some that's up to you)

General instructions for Tenderquick and Buckboard Cure:

UPDATE - June 2014.  Quite by accident I had a rib end loin roast which has been injected with 2 or 3 ounces of my Lite Brine (1 quart of water, 7/8 ounce of canning salt, 1 teaspoon of white sugar) and refrigerated for 24 hours.  I applied the proper amount of my Tenderquick based Buckboard cure, and cured the loin for 6 days, soaked, rested overnight in the fridge and smoked.  This was one of the moistest loins I have ever Buckboarded, and I've done a lot of them.  From now on an injection will be standard procedure for my Buckboard loins.

Okay, back to the general instructions.  Start with a boneless butt, loin or tenderloin trimmed of excess fat. Use only meats that are marked "fresh" or "natural", do not use enhanced meats. Measure the amount of cure based on the weight of your meat. Don't use less than the amount of cure called for, it's okay if you go a little heavy on the measurement.

Sprinkle the meat with a little black pepper. Rub on the cure and massage into the meat. Place in a nonmetallic pan, plastic zipper bag. Store in your refrigerator for up to 10 days (curing time is based on thickness of your meat) turning a few times. Rinse the cured meat. Soak the cured meat in cold water for a minimum of 2 to 3 hours, or up to 6 or 8 hours if you are salt conscious, then drain and dry. If you have washed off some of the black pepper, add another sprinkle. Rest in the refrigerator from 2 hours to overnight, the longer the better. The rest allows the cure to disperse more evenly. In curing circles the rest is referred to as equalization. Smoke the cured pork until the internal temperature is 140° to 150°.

To prepare for eating, just rest for an hour, slice it and try it out. You can lightly fry, microwave, bake or grill it. Since the buckboard is not a preservation cure, the bacon needs to be stored in your refrigerator. It will keep for 4 or 5 days. Since buckboard bacon is so much lower in fat than belly bacon it cooks much faster. Pork loin bacon resembles Canadian bacon, pork butt bacon resembles ham. If you want to slice it for packaging and freezing, let it chill overnight first.  

1 hour ago, reinhard1 said:

Thanks Kidd for posting that.  I was going to suggest Thirdeye's dry cure if using tenderquick.  He is the master of the smoker!!  good luck.

I thought reb was....................oh wait reb is the master at blowin smoke, sorry, I misread that!!!!!!!!:cry::D:crazy:

On 1/29/2016 at 11:58 AM, smurfy said:

I thought reb was....................oh wait reb is the master at blowin smoke, sorry, I misread that!!!!!!!!:cry::D:crazy:

Hey Smurfo!! Glad to see yer OK!! Any problems driving through "those fields" in the dakotas, or did they give you an award for being outstanding in yer field?! :lol:

I've got a whole one in pops brine for a buddy that rides the short bus and really liked the sample I gave him. And I've got three other chunks in brine from this recipe that I got from a neighbor.

1.5 qts water

1 pint pineapple juice

1 tsp cloves

2 tsp garlic powder

2 tsp onion ppowder

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup tenderquick

1/2 cup worcestshire 

1/2 cup red wine vinegar

One chunk is with the recipe above. One I substituted apple juice for the pineapple, and the other I substituted chokecherry juice for the pineapple.  I can't wait to try them out once they're done and ready to slice. Super bowl munchies!!!

9 hours ago, lovebigbluegills said:

I've got a whole one in pops brine for a buddy that rides the short bus and really liked the sample I gave him. And I've got three other chunks in brine from this recipe that I got from a neighbor.

1.5 qts water

1 pint pineapple juice

1 tsp cloves

2 tsp garlic powder

2 tsp onion ppowder

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup tenderquick

1/2 cup worcestshire 

1/2 cup red wine vinegar

One chunk is with the recipe above. One I substituted apple juice for the pineapple, and the other I substituted chokecherry juice for the pineapple.  I can't wait to try them out once they're done and ready to slice. Super bowl munchies!!!

Short bus lol!! whats glenn got ya doing now??:P

Looks good LBBG. I made some CB about a month ago..... The wife brought some in to her office  to make breakfast sandwiches.....now the other women in the office want to know if I will make some for them because it tastes better than the store bought stuff they have been getting. I suppose I'll have to make some for them. Don't want an office full of pissed off accountants during tax season!

3 hours ago, reinhard1 said:

Looking good!!! Nice color also.  Should be tasty.  good luck.

I'll find out tomorrow when I slice it. :D

3 hours ago, SwivelDigger said:

Looks good LBBG. I made some CB about a month ago..... The wife brought some in to her office  to make breakfast sandwiches.....now the other women in the office want to know if I will make some for them because it tastes better than the store bought stuff they have been getting. I suppose I'll have to make some for them. Don't want an office full of pissed off accountants during tax season!

Seems like I end up giving away more than I eat too. 

3 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

need my shipping address?

PM it to me, I'll send you a sample of the "experiments"

3 hours ago, bobberineyes said:

Holy smokes LBBG,  that looks fantastic. ...we gots to see some sliced pics tomorrow  ...:)

Consider it done Boober!!!!