• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Team #5

Archerysniper

I know what you mean,I have been within 40 yards of 3 big toms 4 times now and just cant draw them that extra 10-20 yards I want. Two of them hang out together all day and are blind shy the other one just walks through and will gobble but just continue on his path. I do have a suicidal jake that comes in every time I have hunted.

Still having troubles with birds hanging up and its frustrating.. I even tried setting up so my blind wouldn't be visible until I would have a shot if the birds would stay on/near the trail heading to the field with my decoy 80-100 yards away in the field so when it was visible and they would hang up that would give me a shot as they pass by or right when they hang up. Did it work?..

Of course not! mad The tom completely out of view was 20 yards into the CRP and out of view the whole time but must've been able to see my decoy through the brush of the fence line and was about 30 yards too far to the west and cut through the fenceline which I expected him to go around it. He ended up having a hen with him, strutting 80 yards from the decoy but followed the hen. Time to hunt my public spot thats barely been touched and find some fresh birds and give me a fresh sense of hope!

Have you tried without a decoy? I would put that decoy in the truck if they are not coming in to bow range.

Setup so they have to come and look for you and use the hills or cover to your advantage to make them look and come in.

Is there a spot he keeps coming by every day? try and move your blind there or setup without one. Just you and a call see what happens.

I shot a decent bird this morning at 630..

But yes I tried decoys, no decoys, blind, no blind, agressive calling, calling then shutting up, very little calling, just about everything I could throw at them without putting too much pressure on them and had these birds patterned very well but mother nature was over powering me no matter what.

The one I got this morning was no decoy, light tree talk calling, fly down call, a few soft yelps then shut up, down in the river bottom near a steep bank that keeps the wind from blowing too hard down there where I had two toms last week on one of the really windy days.

Scored 63.8125.

23# 9.6oz 1 1/8 and 1 inch spurs and a 9.5 inch beard.