• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to rig a chub or sucker for a decoy

aquafang

Pins work good. I prefer to use a harness. I keep a bucket with holes drilled in it down the hole with my minnows in it while I am gone. I only drill holes in the top half of the bucket so it holds enough water to keep the minnows alive I am not using while I spear. They will live this way until they get hit too many times by fish. The pin seems to shorten the use I get from them.

I can keep my decoys alive all season using this method. The decoy goes through the loop made with the line to the weight. Then I twist the clamp until the line fits tightly around the decoy. I can use any size decoy I want while not hurting the decoy like the pins do.vv_zpsd78f5c1a.pngbb_zpse9412a2c.png

Ford...Chevy...

Coke...Pepsi...

I've used both successfully. I think the choker keeps the sucker alive over a longer period of days, but I think the pin isn't as restrictive and your bait swims better. Both can be ripped off by a pike if you aren't paying attention. I think a healthy sucker (chub, shiner, whatever) is much more important than how you hook it up. If you go with the choker, there is a natural notch in a sucker just ahead of the dorsal (you can run your finger along its back and feel the divot and should secure the harness right there. For the pin, I find going just underneath the dorsal itself allows for a nice swimming action. Use care to hook deep enough to be secure but shallow enough that you don't stab it in the spine.

The chokers come pre-weighted, but that isn't always a good match. Use just enough weight to keep your bait in the hole. It should be able to swim all day without tiring out after the first 20 minutes. I have a variety of egg sinker weights hooked up to a snap swivel so I can change them out to match the bait size, and this is critical to how a bait swims and for how long it can swim. My 2c