• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Squats are taking a toll on knees..

tacklejunkie

I have had some bad sciatic nerve issues for the last year. It started last winter and came back this fall for about 2 months real bad. One thing I found out fast is squats would trigger it so for the last year I haven't been able to do them for the first time in my life. Its the first time I have reluctantly had to say no to a particular exercise I have been doing for so long. The leg press machine is a no-no for me too. I am limited to dumbbell lunges and the perfect squat machine. Not sure why I can do the perfect squat machine without issues but I can.

If you are getting knee pain tackle that may be a bit trickier being that every pressing movement with your legs obviously involves the knees. Take it easy on the amount of weight and play around with some other movements where you can still get an effective workout. Stay away from anything that is causing unwanted pain though your body is telling you something. I hated giving up squats but can still get a real good lower body workout without them.

I have had some bad sciatic nerve issues for the last year. It started last winter and came back this fall for about 2 months real bad. One thing I found out fast is squats would trigger it so for the last year I haven't been able to do them for the first time in my life. Its the first time I have reluctantly had to say no to a particular exercise I have been doing for so long. The leg press machine is a no-no for me too. I am limited to dumbbell lunges and the perfect squat machine. Not sure why I can do the perfect squat machine without issues but I can.

If you are getting knee pain tackle that may be a bit trickier being that every pressing movement with your legs obviously involves the knees. Take it easy on the amount of weight and play around with some other movements where you can still get an effective workout. Stay away from anything that is causing unwanted pain though your body is telling you something. I hated giving up squats but can still get a real good lower body workout without them.

What's the perfect squat machine? I find I'm substituting more and more exercises as I get older. No more heavy bench presses. More dumbell presses and flys, as an example

Its the machine you stand upright on with the shoulder pads that go above your shoulders and the long pad your back leans against. I think I can do them because it keeps everything so strictly in line.

Yea age sucks I don't recover nearly as fast either. I would take some juice if it didn't have all the bad side affects that go along with it.

Del stretching has been key for me dealing with the sciatic junk. Got some good ones from my chiro also do a lot of foam rolling etc.

tacklejunkie, All too often knee pain from squats is the result of poor form. I assume you are keeping your knees behind your feet, not going past parallel and are performing slow contracted movements. Bad form or habits are easy to fall into and sometimes these occur without you even knowing it. Leg presses can provide an alternative to squats but you're taking the core out of the movement. Lunges are also an alternative to squats using dumbells instead of barbells. I don't know what your age is but as you get older you should train differently. All sorts of programs out there for the over 55 person who trains. Machines do provide an alternative but also provide a good amount of assistance to isolate a body part if that is what you're trying to achieve.

Sometimes Sciatic nerve problems can sometimes be helped by stretching type exercises.

Stretching has helped me a ton the previous two years right when winter started my sciatic nerve had major issues but this year I have really worked on stretching and no issues

tacklejunkie, All too often knee pain from squats is the result of poor form. I assume you are keeping your knees behind your feet, not going past parallel and are performing slow contracted movements. Bad form or habits are easy to fall into and sometimes these occur without you even knowing it. Leg presses can provide an alternative to squats but you're taking the core out of the movement. Lunges are also an alternative to squats using dumbells instead of barbells. I don't know what your age is but as you get older you should train differently. All sorts of programs out there for the over 55 person who trains. Machines do provide an alternative but also provide a good amount of assistance to isolate a body part if that is what you're trying to achieve.

I'll be 55 years old this year. The knee issue is a fairly recent one. I don't have the same issues with leg presses as I do with free weight squats. I jogged for many years but started more walking a while back

tacklejunkie,

If you aren't experiencing the knee pain with leg presses continue with those and stay away from the squats. If the lunges don't bother you add those into the equation as well. Sumo squats with a kettlebell or dumbbell is also a good alternative. Try those paying attention to a straight back and knees behind toes and see how they do. Although squats are a great compound exercise you can get the same benefits with multiple exercises.