• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Addition costs per sq. ft.

Huskie

My wife wants to add a room to our house, probably a sitting or tv room, fireplace, yadda, yadda, yadda. We are thinking in the area of 16 by 20 or a little smaller due to the location of utilities and septic system. I know there are a lot of variables, but what would be an $$ per Sq. ft. estimate range to get that completed, with me doing very little of the work. We are in extreme south central Mn. in the Fairmont area.

I would say you are looking at a minimum of $90-100 a sq ft. Probably gonna be more if you make it nice and want to spend lots of time in there. $120 a sq ft is probably a good start. Materials have gotten more spendy in the last couple years, not to mention the cost of having a business are getting outrageous. I would look for a guy that doesnt have employees that he is trying to pay health ins for. Look for a reputable guy that works on his own.

It's going to come down to what you are looking for in finishes and the level of quality. I have a relative that is a great carpenter and contractor who lives just north of Fairmont that would be a great choice for you but I am not sure if he has time in his schedule. If not there are a few other names I could throw your way to get you started. At least they would be able to throw numbers at you that are accurate for your area.

The only way to know is get a couple bids, other wise your shooting in the dark.

Just looking for a ballpark figure, and I think the earlier replies gave me a good starting point, $100-120 per sq. ft., thanks guys, time to put together a prelim buget.

along with being a teacher, I dabble on the side doing some carpentry now and then and I'm probably lower than most, but I use material cost x 3 for my bidding. Up here near Bemidji, winter time can get you a layed off carpenter for around $15/hr if your hiring by the hour. taz

I'm no cost expert on additions having only been involved in some large remodeling projects I can say that the existing structure can cause all sorts of unforeseen problems which effect costs. Be sure to have a knowledgable person look over the project prior to signing on with a contractor. Finding out about hidden structural or site problems in advance can avoid long and costly delays.

I'm no cost expert on additions having only been involved in some large remodeling projects I can say that the existing structure can cause all sorts of unforeseen problems which effect costs. Be sure to have a knowledgable person look over the project prior to signing on with a contractor. Finding out about hidden structural or site problems in advance can avoid long and costly delays.

Wise words

We do have some site problems, mostly concerned with all of the utilities coming and going under where we want the addition. Water, sewer, electric etc. I have a few contractors coming over to take a look along with some utility people. It's going to have to be an addition with a crawl space in case we need to get to the utilities that come in underground, especially the water and septic lines. Will need to foam the heck out of the floor and maybe use in-floor heat to make it a 4 season add on.

Well I have had a few bids, seems like $120-$125 per square foot is the going rate down here at the moment. That's about what I thought but it will probably mean that the total bill will be a little higher than I anticipated. I have a few months to decide if I want to go through with it, I had hoped to do it without borrowing any $$$$!!!!!

Be sure to add 20% for contingencies. On any project I've ever been doing myself or had contractor someone always says "While we're at it" which is code for it will cost more money. I'd also recommend securing a credit line just in case you need more $$$$ to fishing the project. Credit line is cheaper than using a credit card.

We are just finishing a 24 x 24 addition and are around $120/ sq ft. with a full basement. I had it framed in and did everything else but the sheet rock taping. Basically, the addition is an entry, large master bedroom w/fireplace and bathroom. Luckily we didn't have to upgrade to a bigger furnace.