• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bucket List Cars

Thank you, I'm a ford guy at heart although I can appreciate all of the cars posted in this thread and many more.

There is really something about early 60's cars up to 64. Obviously there is a reason for the 64 and older rule for the back to the 50's car show in the twin cities.

The thread title is bucketlist cars though, so let me offer one up for the thread that I restored for myself, and then sold about a year ago:

This was my 1969 plymouth road runner.

I picked it up in central MN, brought it home to border land up by lake of the woods and tore into it.

102_5629.jpg

That's what it looked like when we got it.

Originally a T7 bronze car with a white vinyl top, 383, 4 spd, 3.23:1 sure grip.

It looked like hell with it's funky mid 70's paint job and plenty of normal body rot. But the numbers all matched up, original engine, trans, interior was all there, air grabber hood, it was all there and all correct.

This was before we sold it.

rr7_zps050a6834.jpg

rr1_zpseca2520b.jpg

rr2_zpsf76653e3.jpg

rr4_zps460e1219.jpg

rr5_zps3566f747.jpg

I really did like that car.

I put it back to it's original color with modern base/clear.

We were looking forward to another spring/summer season about a year ago when we were contacted by a team of guys that had been searching for this car for many years. The car was originally from Iowa, I knew that much from my own research on the car when I initially brought it home.

Well, this was very much one man's bucket list car. A man in his 60's now, was searching for his first car that he purchased while he was in high school. He was technically the second owner, as the man that ordered the car wasn't making the payments so the dealership got the car back from him and resold it.

That's when my friend from Iowa got hold of the car.

Anyways, Yeah I liked the car, but not in the same way this guy liked it. Imagine his excitement when after 40 years separated, he finds that not only does his first car still exist,but it's also been restored.

Well, I sold him the car. He sends my pictures of the car in txt messages throughout the year. The car couldn't have a better owner, and what an awesome story he has to tell at car shows.

this was a very cool reunion to be a part of.

From the most recent Northstar Studebaker Chapter Newsletter:

Law of Mechanical Repair

After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin

to itch and you’ll have to pee.

Well I did it. Broke down and bought one. This is a '59 Silver Hawk, mileage 83,000 original miles, restored inside and out. Original 259 V8 engine has not been touched but not using oil and is a strong runner at this point. Couple in St. Louis had it but with an upcoming hip and knee replacement, he could no longer drive a 3 on the tree. Saw it last fall in Turning Wheels but had to pass on it due to health and $ issues. Price was right. It wasn't in the next issue so figured it was sold. Was pleased to find it again about a month ago still for sale by the same guy. Met with them last weekend and we struck a deal. Wonderful people. Made us come in and eat lunch with them then I took the car for a short test drive around St. Louis. My butt cheeks were pinched pretty tight with all that traffic. Last 3 on the tree I drove was almost 40 years ago, my own Studebaker Lark VI! Took it out for a short cruise when I got it home to see how it functions. Temperature hangs in there at 170 -175, oil pressure 40 or above and charging system working normally. Had it appraised for insurance purposes the other day and was pleasantly surprised. Love this car!  

20150613_141809.jpg

20150613_141830.jpg

20150613_142325.jpg

Edited by Dotch

My '59 Silver Hawk and my buddy's '57 T Bird from a benefit/show/cruise a few weeks ago. Gus' Station was moved onto the historical society page in Owatonna from its original home in Ellendale. Birds of a feather...:-)

20150718_074849-1.jpg

20150718_074633-2 (2).jpg

Edited by Dotch

Here ya go ufatz. Some rare footage of a prototype convertible from 1953. Ed Reynolds, the owner of Studebaker International recently purchased the vehicle and wrote an interesting article about it in the most recent edition of Turning Wheels. His dad who worked in the engineering department at Studebaker actually drove it the way it sounds.

http://www.studebaker-intl.com/Flash/1953 Prototype.swf

Thanks ozzie! This is not a trailer queen. It was built to be driven and enjoyed. Starting to get the hang of the overdrive thing now so Saturday took 'er to Spring Valley and the local A&W to celebrate International Drive Your Studebaker Day. Perfect weather for a cruise. Took Mrs. Cheviot along. Almost ran out of gas. Good thing the front seat folds flat. After all these years I think she's onto me. ;)20150912_150335-1.thumb.jpg.d1d0d61cf02e

Wow dotch! Congrats on the silver hawk! That's a beautiful car!

Here's a truck we did this spring:

prom%20day%201_zpshztmmcur.jpg

Here's some of the major mustang project.

IMG_20150611_153744941_zpshuwaqeda.jpg

IMG_20150612_085519811_zpsggcsuckr.jpg

IMG_20150614_140355583_HDR_zpsxwpxzwhy.j

IMG_20150708_165558648_HDR_zpsr9r22fb6.j

IMG_20150717_132707127_zps1b49tglq.jpg

IMG_20150812_115350821_HDR_zpsjzvgrfb0.j

Huge project, lol.

Here's a little Chevy I just finished painting. The doors, trunk lid and hood are also painted but not back on the car yet. I'm wet sanding and buffing now.

IMG_20150929_183309744_zpsc5vsxcsr.jpg

Thanks Shawski. Now that's what I call a total frame off restoration project on that Mustang. Holy smokes! How's that 1960 Hawk coming?

Edited by Dotch

Hi Dotch, the owner of the hawk ditched on the project. punted, sent it down the road. It was a good call. The car was beyond any sensible efforts. Beyond cost effective. 

The Camaro is gone from the shop now.

IMG_20151023_174016713_HDR_zpskozvtlcy.j

IMG_20151023_174105372_zpsvuacs9y4.jpg

IMG_20151023_174139886_zpsxffwtant.jpg

IMG_20151023_174211100_HDR_zpsvjvkr3uw.j

I believe I will be bringing this one in next, possibly today yet. I have several in storage waiting to come into the resto shop. I do think this one will be next.

"Christine"

IMG_20150802_165206095_zpslgyjgksn.jpg

We've had her in the shop and up on the hoist for evaluation earlier this year. You can see that it's a very good car the way it is. But, the owner wan't to take it to the next level. We will be taking all the trim and prob all the glass out, she will be taken down to bare metal and we will begin our methodical resurfacing process with our sights set on a laser straight red and white, show quality Christine.

I'm really, really looking forward to this one :)

Kudos on the Camaro. Can see why you're excited The fins on those old Fury's were indeed something to behold. Bummer on the Stude but as you said, can't save 'em all. Some of them like my '59 Lark live on as organ donors. :D