• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

E collar age for pup

leechlake

We added a third dog a few months ago. Of all the dogs we've had this one, which is a black lab female, has been the least destructive and easiest to train in the basics. Maybe it's that I've gotten better at it. It's worked out perfect this Fall, she's seen the world on various hunting trips. Mostly just tagging along and experiencing things, obviously no real "big girl" hunting for her yet. She did get to retrieve a few grouse when I took her out alone, cute and funny.

She has/had "come" down and I started whistle training her with treats from early on. Fun to watch her sprint to the whistle for the treat. I've weened her off of treats mostly and just praise her when she comes for the most part. Last week or so (she's a week short of 5 months)she does that defiant look and won't always come to the whistle. At that point I quit blowing the whistle and attempt to go get her. I won't make it into a game of chase so once in a while it takes a while. I know I could check cord her.

Question is when do you guys start using the e collar? She weighs in the low 30 pound area and to me looks a little small to start right now (could be I'm looking at her balled up on her bed and she looks cute unlike when she's standing in the yard giving me the finger so to speak). Also the few times she's been scolded she clearly knows she's in trouble, what I'm saying is her disposition is such where a little goes a long way. She isn't like some of my dogs where you needed to be more harsh than average to get the point across.

I know the routine of how to properly get her used to the collar before any correction etc.

The last 3 puppy's I have raised I have followed the "Hillman Method" . I encourage you to check it out, it's a little different than the traditional way, collar is introduced much earlier than other programs 12 to 16 weeks. I believe these last three puppy's have had a significant head start on others following this program..

Todd,

How are you following the Hillman method? Did you buy one or several of his DVDs?

I am beginning the process of finding another dog. This one will be trained and handled by my son (16 years old). It will be far easier for him to do this off a program instead of me offering coaching that is sometimes good and sometimes not.

If you are open for a chat, send me an email at ray.esboldt at gmail dot com.

Todd,

How are you following the Hillman method? Did you buy one or several of his DVDs?

I am beginning the process of finding another dog. This one will be trained and handled by my son (16 years old). It will be far easier for him to do this off a program instead of me offering coaching that is sometimes good and sometimes not.

If you are open for a chat, send me an email at ray.esboldt at gmail dot com.

Ray just give me a call, be more than willing to talk about dogs with you, anytime after 3:15 is best 218-821-0402