• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The kid does it again....

In the last 14 or so months my son has shot four deer, 2-8pt and 2-does. All with the muzzleloader. To say he is fortunate is an under statement. Here is the story.

First gun season started last Saturday in Iowa. We headed down to my friends farm in hopes of seeing something good. By hope, I mean that this season bow hunting there has been a bust. My friend is out east for work this fall and all the neighbors know it. Really makes me feel for you guys up north and the tresspass issues you have. Saturday afternoon all we saw was a small 6pt and a couple does out in the field. Joe is all up for an early morning so the plan was made for an all day sit if needed. We were at the blind about 20 min before shooting light. Just then we heard a shot ring out right on the fence line to our east. I thought oh no here we go again. The last thing I wanted with my son along was a confrontation. We sat tight and about 7:15 a doe walked out of the CRP heading for the pines along the river. My son had already said he would take a good doe for the freezer. Just as he got the doe lined up, out walked a nice 8pt. After some tense moments he got the the buck in the scope. I reached around him and cocked the T/C and told him to shoot when the buck turned. As soon as the buck turned he was greeted with a boom, cloud of smoke, and that wonderful crack you hear when the bullet finds it's mark. The buck ran to the tall grass and just disapeered. We waited about 20min, just long enough to regain composure, before we went to find blood. Joe walked right over to where the buck had stood upon impact and could not find bood. We walked over to where he entered the tall grass, still no blood. From where I was standing I could see the antlers of the buck laying in the grass. I sugested Joe look for blood down the trail leading into the grass. He looked for about five feet and turned to me with a disgusted look on his face. Still no Blood!! I told him to look alittle closer. I could see some blood from where I was standing. He turned and almost fell over when he saw the buck laying less than 15ft from him. Priceless. I am so pround of him. He made an great 70yrd shot on a nice buck that wasn't going to stick around very long. He didn't give up right away when he didn't find blood at the first or second place he looked. There are times when he is much wiser than his 10 years. I am so proud of him and I cheerish these moments. Thank you for reading our story and I will post a picture when I can.