• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Computer question

Boar

My son wnt to possibly get a alrger cpu for his computer. I know nuthing but am trying to help, whats a cpu what do they do and how do you find out which one you have, is it printed on a lable some where on the inside of the panel. thanks for anyy help.

Easiest way is to find the specifications for the brand and model on the internet. Normally the brand and model are on a sticker on the bottom of a laptop or the back of a desktop.

Might be easier and cheaper to just buy new computer, or maybe new motherboard with processor.

The processor or cpu is the chip inside a computer that is the "brains" that does the work.

Probably not a good idea to mess with it if you don't know what you are doing. They are sort of delicate.

CPU=Central Processing Unit.

All program code is lines of instructions. The CPU processes those instructions into program functionality.

So that in turn means the faster the processor the faster the computer run the programs. Most of today's processors are "multi core" which in short means they can process more than one instructions at time.

Upgrading a CPU? Like Del brought up you need to find out what CPU you have, then you need to find out what CPU/s you motherboard will support.

Not something for someone who is not computer hardware saavy. With the prices of PCs where there are today it might an easier path to purchase a computer with the CPU and RAM that would better suit the needs of what he wants to run.

I'd take it to a shop and get an estimate for what he wants, then compare it to the Christmas deals that are starting already.

Might be cheaper just to buy new, depends on what he wants.

If he just wants a little more performance, might be cheaper to upgrade the RAM and video card (assuming its s desktop). I've done both of those in the past and they aren't very hard.

Lot of good points.

I've kept my computer plugging along for a long time with CPU upgrades as the prices on the more powerful ones dropped. It worked out well because I built based on good mobo and good memory, good power supply, video card, etc. Started with some sort of low end Celeron to save some bucks (which actually worked quite well) with occasional upgrades of CPU up through the present where I have a Core 2 Extreme QX6800. There is one or two more steps up from there but from a practial matter the QX6800 is about as speedy as my computer gets. Which, while more than adequate for my current and foreseeable use, is still quite a ways back from the new, speedy processors.

So, as others have said, it depends on the circumstances but for me it worked well to keep a computer more than usable.

Boar, how old is your son and what is he interested in doing with the computer?

And, what computer does he/you have now and what operating system is it running? XP, Windows 7, Windows 8?

There must be something he wants to do that the existing computer is too slow for.

Thanks for all the info guys. My sone is a PC Gamme, has 1000 dollar hardrive he bought for graduation, and its quite fast and fancy, he gets a idea in his head that more is better, like me and icefishing jigs. lol. Gaming anf utube video up loading is all he dose.

For openers you need the model, or some more information. Some of their computers use Intel Processors and some use AMD processors. The two kinds are quite different in how they are made so an AMD can only be replaced by an AMD and an Intel by an Intel.

Why does he want it? Honestly the CPU is very rarely the limiting factor in game performance. Without knowing the full specifications, it is hard to say what to upgrade. Yes, a CPU can be upgraded (same socket and check the motherboards compatibility), but I don't think he would see much improvement.

thats just it, more speed for gaiming, thing is Im trying to gather as much infor to present to him logicaly. He has Aspergers syndrom, hes been been on a game counsel since he was two. its his only focus and its intense, Like a drug addiction. He's very litteral, so when he reads or see something he takes it as law. Hes very smart, in the gaming world but uneducated in the computer world which he is now just getting into, Ive talk to him about college computer courses, maybe online studies as far as computer repair and building but the gaming is just his only focus, and example is he wanted a quieter fan so i helped him replace it, ok it works great, now he wants fans where ever he can put them, more is better. try to explain thats not all ways the case, but cant shake the idea. anyway, Im trying to gather as much info to present to him on the best way to go. Ill try and find out which processer he has, if it makes a difference ot upgrade we'll have a tech. do it. Thanks guys

Gaming computers are going to be tough for the not-so-tech savvy. You really don't need to SLI/Crossfire anything unless you are running really high resolutions (like those people that put 3 monitors side by side by side). Most games you can just run a simple FPS check. Over 60 is good enough for everything, if it drops below 30 the game starts to get unplayable.

The processor does handle some things, but really it doesn't get all that stressed except in RTS games. Most other games (except maybe some action RPGs) are all either video card or RAM bottlenecked. You would have to ask him exactly where his current game is running slow.

But honestly, unless the frame-rate is dropping too low anything you upgrade will probably just be a placebo.

I did a quick search on how to test frames per second and came up with this, if that helps (I had no clue how to measure them and I don't play games so didn't need to)

Quote:

Frames per second, or FPS, is the clearest measure of how well your computer can run a video game. It’s not difficult to tell if your PC is having trouble with or breezing through whatever game you’re playing, but even if you develop a good instinct and have an ability to make a rough estimate on how many FPS your rig is churning out, you probably won’t be able to nail the exact number. Those chances are diminished significantly when you consider that framerates fluctuate constantly depending on what you’re doing in-game.

Why would you want to know how many FPS your system can kick out when you’re playing World of Warcraft of Call of Duty: Ghosts? Frankly, some just like to brag. Attaining triple digits in a game as demanding as a new CoD title is something to brag about. However, the more pragmatic among you out there might want to know what your PC is capable in terms of FPS because that can help you determine whether your system is up to snuff or whether an upgrade is in order. We’re here to show you how to pull it off.

Related: Best free first person shooters, best free MMORPGs.

How to check your PC’s FPS when playing video games

For this purpose, you’ll be using a program called Fraps. Fraps is free, easy to use, and once you turn it on, it quietly sits in your taskbar while it does your bidding. The program is also tiny, with the download weighing in at a measly 2.2MB, smaller than most MP3 files. You can snag it by clicking here.

http://www.fraps.com/download.php

Once installed, Fraps will automatically sneak into your taskbar. If you want to mess with any of its settings, you’re free to by right-clicking on the Fraps icon in your taskbar (symbolized by a monitor and a yellow 99).

Otherwise, just game on! Any games you play from here on out will have a yellow number displayed in the corner of your screen whenever you start playing. That number represents your system’s FPS.

Once you exit the game, the Fraps FPS counter can behave erratically. Though it usually doesn’t appear in Windows, at times it will pop up. If you want to get rid of it while not playing a game, just close Fraps from the taskbar. Start it up again when you’re about to head into another gaming session.

There might be better ways to check, this is just the first one I found.

Boar, I do some e-waste recycling, aka srcapping computers, and if I have a CPU laying around that will work for an upgrade you can have it free. Just got to figure out what you have and what will work for an upgrade. Though, I would bet that putting time and money into an old computer would be better spent on upgrading to a new computer at this point.