• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ranger 185vs for walleye fishing

Moses2531

Hey guys I know this is a conversation that's happened before and I apologize if I am restarting an existing post. Long story short I am in the market and very near to purchasing a new (for me) boat. I have come across an opportunity to buy a 2004 Ranger 185vs in great condition for a reasonable price. Beautiful boat, love how it looks my only problem is I am not a bass guy primarily! I fish walleye and from my posts on this forum I fish the Becker county area, Brainerd lakes most often. I take trips to Mille lacs and LOTW as well but I am not buying a boat for those huge bodies of water. So my question is,do you guys think I will be able to effectively and comfortably fish walleye in lakes like Gull,Whitefish, Ottertail, Big Detroit, Sallie, Melissa, etc on average days weather wise from a 2004 Ranger 185vs?? I've had an internal struggle for months now and the seller is getting inpatient so any thoughts, comments, experiences would be great thanks!!

Good luck to those chasing deer this weekend!

I don't see any problems on those lakes on an average day. How do you fish walleye? I'm a bass guy and I've fished Mille Lacs, Vermillion and Leech with my bass boat on average days and haven't experienced any problems. What kind of motor does it have? trolling motor?

The only problem I can think of is if you pull cranks or spinners a lot, might be a little harder, have to use drift sock to slow down. I don't think a kicker is feasible on a bass boat. You can troll for a few hours with the trolling motor, but not all day or anything.

Rigs, jigs etc I don't see any problem.

thank you for the replies, i appreciate the perspectives alot! its great to hear that it can work out! the boat has a 150 four stroke and a terrova ipilot. i fish all styles and i understand maybe i wont be able to troll all day but i feel like i dont troll for hours on end, ill either change it up and drift or pitch some jigs\swimbaits or cast cranks.

thank you for the replies, i appreciate the perspectives alot! its great to hear that it can work out! the boat has a 150 four stroke and a terrova ipilot. i fish all styles and i understand maybe i wont be able to troll all day but i feel like i dont troll for hours on end, ill either change it up and drift or pitch some jigs\swimbaits or cast cranks.

Sounds like a great boat for almost everything. One thing I did think of is that bass boats only work for up to 2 or maybe 3 people, if that would be an issue.

My buddy used to have a Ranger 211 (big brother to the 186), and it will work, as will any boat, but there are limitations. Mounting rod holders where difficult, and they where at your feet. No kicker for trolling, not a biggie if your not into it but a real biggie if that is your bag.

All in all I would say if you can make some trade offs in your fishing style the boat will work just fine. With that being said, my buddy sold his because he couldn't make the trade offs after a year with the boat.

That's great to hear! It has an 24V 80lb thrust Minn Kota on it so maybe trolling for awhile can still happen. That's a great point about the number of guys I could fish with. I typically only have 1 other guy with me so I should be ok,granted in the future I might need to adjust for family joinin me!

If you are not a bass guy no way would I pick a 185 over a walleye style boat-you mention Otter Tail in your post and unless its pretty calm you will have a heck of a time out there with that boat- I had several bass boats and several buddies still have them. Big water and walleye fishing in all conditions with a bass boat will leave you frustrated. If you dont mind staying off the big water when its beezy a bass boat is probably OK-I would look for a ranger or skeeter deeper hull and it will save you dumping that 185 after a season or two. From your hesitation to pull the trigger on it I think you already know its not the right boat for you- I went to a skeeter wx 1880 and its been the best boat I have owned for all around fishing and family outings.

I see a lot of guys out on the west end of Vermilion in Bass Boats. They are fishing muskies mostly but the wind and stuff doesn't seem to bother them. In fact, the lower profile makes the wind blow the boat around less.

The 80 lb Terrova will pull the boat at 1.5 mph for hours, although not maybe 10 or 12 hours, but half a day anyway.

If a guy wants to pull cranks at 2.5, need to crank up the big motor and throw out a sock if necessary. That 4stroke will troll all day.

I'll throw my $.02 on. smile I mainly fish for pan fish, bass, northern and some walleye. Usually not big water other than the Miss.

I've owned several styles of Rangers over the years. The first was a 364 Bass boat with a 175. Awe some boat to fish out of, but not very good in rough water and could not pull water toys worth a hoot!

Next was a 680 C with a 90 on it.( considered a mod. "V" hull) Sweet boat, but not a lot of room to move around in, but good to fish out of and could pull water toys.

Then went to a Reata. (18 ft. deep V full wind shield seating four 6 with a 115) My family loved it, but could not get into many places I wanted to fish.

This year I got a new RT 178 alum. bass boat. Not a good family boat as far as pulling toys, but seats four, handles mod. rough water well, and great to fish out of. Probably my last boat.( YES I'm getting old!! grin)

My point is; sit back a think threw how you will be using the boat, now and in the future!! Then make your choice.

I've had an internal struggle for months now and the seller is getting inpatient

Sorry if this is off topic but what does that mean? Are you buying this internationally?

The seller can get impatient all he wants, it won't change the fact that he's trying to sell a boat in November.

Haha no its not international I just meant that he's not listing it yet because he wanted me to have the first chance at it.. But you guys did pin me I am hesitant for sure because of the Ottertail factor and limitations the boat could have. I will continue to think on this one!

I currently own a 2004 185VS and mainly bass fish but have fished walleye out of it. The down sides of walleye fishin in this boat are:

Trolling for a extended periods of time.

Slip Drifting in wind.

NO back trolling option.

Fishing in high winds and big waves can be tricky.

Plus side is a glass boat has a wonderful ride.

Jigging for eyes isnt a problem.

If walleys are your main target it is my opinion to look for something other than a bass type of boat. You can fish more of the traditional walley tactics out of a deep V style boat.

Back trolling was invented back in the day when trolling motors sucked and a 50 merc on a 16 foot lund wouldn't go slow enough.

I have a 1775 pro-vee and rarely, very rarely ever backtroll. Nothing that is done backtrolling can't also be done with the bow mount.

Well I passed up on it, I appreciate the insight you all gave but I decided it wasn't for me. Sold it to a true "bass guy" down in Missouri I guess! Anyway I'm back on the hunt for a solid walleye rig for the Other tails, Big Pines, Farm Islands, and Big DLs of our state but not so big I feel uncomfortable on some smaller lakes! Hearing myself I guess I'm kinda picky! Oh well if I'm going to get a boat I better wait and get what I really want!

. Nothing that is done backtrolling can't also be done with the bow mount.

Oh contraire..... nothing gives you more control in heavy waves than backtrolling.... nothing.

It can sort-of be accomplished with a bow mount, but it is not as precise and takes a lot of battery to do so (I have an I-pilot link on my boat, rest assured I'm not talking out of my arse)

One very windy October day on your lake I was backtrolling a sharp break and nailing the walleyes. A boat similar to yours came over and tried the bow mount. It was kind of working, but he was having a tough time staying still long enough to get bit. He saw me backtrolling and decided to give it a try (wheelboat without wave wackers).

He fished for quite some time, and every other wave was putting water in his boat smile After an hour or so he had enough and went to leave. His boat stood up almost on end from all of the weight LOL! He putzed to the Lee side of an island and ran the bilge for 20 minutes before he could leave.

All the while watching me drill fish after fish grin

Oh contraire..... nothing gives you more control in heavy waves than backtrolling.... nothing.

It can sort-of be accomplished with a bow mount, but it is not as precise and takes a lot of battery to do so (I have an I-pilot link on my boat, rest assured I'm not talking out of my arse)

One very windy October day on your lake I was backtrolling a sharp break and nailing the walleyes. A boat similar to yours came over and tried the bow mount. It was kind of working, but he was having a tough time staying still long enough to get bit. He saw me backtrolling and decided to give it a try (wheelboat without wave wackers).

He fished for quite some time, and every other wave was putting water in his boat smile After an hour or so he had enough and went to leave. His boat stood up almost on end from all of the weight LOL! He putzed to the Lee side of an island and ran the bilge for 20 minutes before he could leave.

All the while watching me drill fish after fish grin

Well, I'm old and tired. If the waves are that bad I go somewhere else where they are smaller. I can fight another day. And I would have run my bilge pump periodically while fishing to not have boat full of water.

But to each their own. I don't see very many boats on Vermilion with wackers on the back, but I am on west end. But I probably did exaggerate a tad when I said "nothing"

A Few things...

I just put a deposit on a new 2013 Fish Hawk "holdover" and got a deal.

Granted I am in New Hampshire but there are deals out there now.

I am mostly a smallie hunter but on "big" water of Lake Winnipesaukee (about same size and shape as eastern 2/3rds of Vermillion ) so a vee boat works better.

And there's trolling for landlocked atlantic salmon (2-3 mph) and Lakers that I plan to do with the 24 volt, 80 lb Terrova. I am considering using 2 additional batteries in series for trolling duration instead of adding another gas burner on the back.