• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rutting Reports

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the same breeding pair from Wed under me again last night. Of course the doe had to come directly underneath me and spooked when she caught my ground scent. 5 yds in either direction and I would've been golden. The buck who was 15 yds behind her stood motionless for 10+ minutes. He was looking my direction and there was nothing I could do, but let my bow hand slowly turn to ice. It was almost a relief when they retreated back to the brush so I could thaw out my hand. I'm sure my time is up now as she's most likely out of heat. South wind next few days won't help any either.

I think the majority of does have been bred. The peak is usually around the 13th-16th and the bell curve slides down from there. All it takes is one though to have some good action this time of year. And usually it'll mean the biggest bucks in your area. This warmup is going to feel mighty good!

Thank you. I've said this for years, because of of northern climate fawns need to be born when the weather gives them a chance to live. Read a study that said most fawns are born during the same 5 day window each year in a given area. Area 183, my dad had a chance at a decent buck this morning, just never got the right angle as he is ultra conservative on getting the perfect shot to avoid wounding. Some fresh scrapes since last Sunday.

Incredible day in the stand today, north metro. Saw 12 deer this morning, including a big ten who was dogging a doe all day. They bedded near me three times, and I had him at 30 yards multiple times but he wouldn't take the few extra steps he needed to for a clear shot. Lots of chasing going on, and I heard more grunting today than I have ever heard before. The big 10 would grunt at the doe while he was bedded next to her, I'd never seen that before either.

Hopefully the rain holds off tomorrow so I can get another crack at him while he's still locked on the doe in heat.

My "guess" is that most fawns are born in a 5 day window because most does are bred in a 5 day window the Fall before. Nature is amazing so maybe the does do know when to have the fawn so I could be wrong.

I saw quite a few dead deer on 494 this weekend in Eden Prairie area I'd assume there's chasing causing most of it. This time of year I don't expect that to be the reason I see deer. I hunt food or shelter and if bucks are hounding does it's icing on the cake and a real bonus.

Nope, same time every year. Photoperiodism.

Factors may determine what you see in the woods on any given day, but doesn't affect the dates of peak breeding.

Well to me "the rut" and "peak breeding" are different subjects.

Being a hunter I only really care about what I'm seeing in the woods during the rut and that changes every year.

Is it common for the rut to be this crazy this part of November? I've read in the past that this time of Nov they should be tending and hiding in beds with their does during the "lockdown" period.

Once the bucks breed the majority of does the activity can pick up again as they search for the last few does to come into heat. It's obviously not as hot and heavy as early Nov but it doesn't hurt to be out the woods. Very similar to those early hot does, you need to be in the right place at the right time to take advantage.

Once the bucks breed the majority of does the activity can pick up again as they search for the last few does to come into heat. It's obviously not as hot and heavy as early Nov but it doesn't hurt to be out the woods. Very similar to those early hot does, you need to be in the right place at the right time to take advantage.

Noted.