• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can I plant anything this late?

So we just bought 100 acres of hunting land, and we close on it in 2 weeks. So that'll put us around the middle of September till we can get on the land to hang stands and whatnot. Is there really anything we can do this year to improve hunting and draw deer in? I dont think food plots or anything will grow in time, there are some spots that are pretty clear that would be easy to plant if we wanted.

Mineral blocks probably wont do much good either this late in the fall. So is there anything to do? Or just hunt it this year and plant next summer?

I'm definitely new to this, so any help is appreciated! Thanks guys!

I normally plant my winter rye Labor Day weekend.

Too wet so hopefully it will dry up enough to get in next weekend.

Everything is killed off and ready to till up.

I also have a bag a of Buck Forage Oats I to put in off to one side.

Not sure if it is getting too late for that or not.

Will put some 46-00-00 in them to help em "pop".

Planted some winter rye last weekend on saturday and tuesday some of it was up over 2". Had a nice little shot of rain on it on Sunday. Not too much grows faster than rye and you dont need anything more than some decent soil contact for it to sprout and grow. Deer love it and its easy so my advice would be to go with that if you can find some. If not Oats works well too. Nothing fancy needed there either, i have just used feed oats from the eleveator and it comes up fine. For your situation any grain will work but I would try get some rye if you can....