• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who uses trailer hooks on spinnerbaits?

EBass

I have a couple spinnerbaits in which I have a trailer hook on. In some situations I'll get them hooked on the trailer hook only, and on other situations they inhale it and get the hook way down deep.

What I have been doing is crimping the barb down on the trailer hook, but I don't know if this is defeating the purpose of the trailer hook. Any comments or suggestions to share? Plus this forum needs some posts smile.gif

You probably got more stick time on Bass than I do with a username like that. (haha)
Seriously though, up there in canada everything is barbless I believe and they land fish, I think by bending down the barbs down you are defeating the purpose but I also believe if you keep steady pressure on the fish through out the battle, you are in charge of whether or not he will be able to spit the hook, unless he runs your line into an unforseen object under water and gains slack at that time. I run trailers on most of my spinners and buzzbaits, depending on where I'm throwing them but I think a guy could saftly down size on the hook size as long as you use a quality hook that maintains it's point. Nothing worse than catching that quality Bass with all the intentions of releasing him and then to see a hook burried in his throat. I'm far from a pro (but someday,like all the rest of us here), but a Novis with good or bad info.(just my 2 cents)

------------------
Good Luck To All, Wormburner!
Buy a trailer,help support my fishing habit!

Thanks wormburner for your .02! Actually my biggest bass of 03 came on a spinnerbait with no trailer hook and I crimped down the barb on the main hook. I got pretty scared when it kept trying to jump. She went a tad over 21".

However, I had some pike that shallowed the whole spinnerbait with trailer hook that had a barb and the trailer hook was way buried. Took forever to get the hook out. Didn't have a cutter with me. That pike didn't make it. Thus is why I am crimping everything now.

Anyone else care to share good or bad trailer hook stories or just put in your .02?

Thanks,
EBass

EBass, Here's one for ya, I fish alot with Jig n Pigs, and the problem I run into is when I set the hook on a fish, reel it up and 9 times out of 10 the hook point goes through their cheek, just missing the bottom of their eye, (doesn't hit the eye but awfully close) has this happen to anyone else?

------------------
Good Luck To All, Wormburner!
Buy a trailer,help support my fishing habit!

I've gone away from using a trailer hook as much as possible for the majority of my spinnerbait fishing. I seem to have a pretty good hook-up percentage without it and I can fish through a lot more vegitation and snags without it. There are times when the fish are just nipping at the bait, and you really need a trailer. I always keep them close by and use them when I feel they are needed. Normally though, if I can keep my bait in the water longer without hooking vegitation with the use of a trailer, I'll go that route.

Actually I never use a trailer hook on either spinnerbaits or buzzbaits - I have never found it necesary. I don't seem to miss very many strikes with these baits so have not considered it.

I DO use a trailer on all my spinner and buzz baits though - I prefer the Cajun Trailers from Bass Pro and I attach them with the little Trailer Keepers they also sell. I wonder if the extension of the trailer entices the fish to hit more solidly (hence not missing strikes or short strikes) but I notice a HUGE difference in the number of hits when I don't use the trailer.

Nover thought that the addition of a trailer might help prevent short strikes....hmmmm

Daze Off

I have found that by trimming the skirt of the spinner bait just to the back of the hook I have eliminated the need for a trailer. The same applies to buzzbaits as well. If you have fish missing the bait, or short striking, slow down, or change colors.

Scott

I'd have to agree w/ Sluggo Master. If bass are missing the spinner bait, it's simply a matter of slowing your retrieve down. If that doesn't work, change colors or even make a switch to a jerk bait. The trailer hooks just don't do it for me. Once you get a bass that really hits it hard w/ a trailer hook on, it can be a mess to get the hooks out (from my experience anyway). Also, trailers or tails work real well too. Putting a bright cartreuse or a white split-tail trailer willl really trigger strikes.
On buzzbaits, I may every so often throw a trailer hook on. But it is also a matter of slowing the retrieve or letting the fish "take the bait" more. If that doesn't work, tie on a popper or a walk the dog type lure.

Coach Dog

------------------
GIT-R-Done!

I use a trailer hook in every tournament that i fish in, and in some cases i have used a small treble hook as trailer hook instead of the traditional single hooks. I could see not using a trailer hook when fun fishing, but in a tournament when there is money on the line, you can't miss a fish on a spinnerbait because you didn't have a trailer hook on! There are other situations that you may not be able to use a trailer hook, depending on the cover you may be fishing as well. Overall i feel that if i can land one more fish because i had a trailer hook on, why wouldn't i have one on my spinnerbait, or buzzbait!!!!

i would have to agree with the guys that tournament fish that the trailer hook would be a big help. you need to land every fish yo can. but for the guys that fish for fun and release most of what you catch, then the trailer may not be needed. also; we do crimp the barbs on many of our lures when fishing tubes,jigs, and spinner baits. sure makes removing a hooked fish easier. yes we may loose a few because of it, but i think the trade off is worth it. del

When fishing smallies I use a trailer hook 90% of the time. Smallies have the tendency to smash the bait in an attempt to injure it before actually eating it. This is the reason I use a #4 Gamakatsu Round Bend treble hook for my trailer. A lot of times the smallies will smack your spinnerbait, then if you let it flutter, the fish will think it has disabled the bait, and come back to hit it again.

For largemouth, I typically do not use a trailer, but I will make some small modifications, such as trimming the skirt, adding a worm to use as a trailer (such as chartreuse, red, or white), and finally I will bend the gap of the hook out, very slightly. A lot of times if I am getting short strikes, not only will a color change help, but switching over to a B-1 minus crankbait can make all the difference in the world. Good Luck!

Ross

Typically I don't use a trailer.
But on one outing last summer I got so frustrated missing Smallies, so I put on a trailer. I still was not hooking fish.
Guess what? I put on another trailer behind the first one. So I had 3 hooks on that darn buzzbait.
Did it work? Nope!
I really didn't think adding another one was going to work, but I was so frustrated, I just did it.
Same day, I was losing fish on my Senkos. My hook percentage rate that day was just awful.
Later in the summer, I found the trick to increasing the hook percentrage on the senko when smallie fishing. Hook it wacky style!!!

I'm with fisher, I do not use trailers for fun fishing, but when it comes to fishing tournaments, I throw the trailer on. As long as it doesn't mess up how the spinnerbait runs and improves my chances of hooking a short striking fish, I'm all for it. I haven't had any problems with fish swallowing the trailer yet. Knock on wood.

Good Luck

Scott