• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Goldfish or koi

Looking to add goldfish and koi to my life list of catches. I know there are some around, but looking for a place that has higher numbers of koi carp or goldfish.

I know of a spot down in Madison, WI that catches 8-10inch goldfish like crazy. Brought home a dozen during my college years for my indoor pond.

I'm not sure you are going to find a fishable population of koi or goldfish around.

I know of a little pond in burnsville that has clouds of bright red goldfish swimming around, but they are maybe 2 inchers.

For mirror carp, I think your best bet is to find carp and hope for the best. I have never heard of anybody tying into a bunch of mirror carp. They aren't a separate species, it's just some genetic mutation.

I'ver heard Loring Pond in downtown is a place you can catch goldfish pretty easily.

one guy on this forum caught a real extravagant and big goldfish at the Rum River dam (the final one before the Miss.)

Back in the day Farquar Lake in Apple Valley had a few schools of goldfish swimming around. Not sure what its like now though.

+1 - I used to live over there years ago. There were some big ones in there. Very weird to catch them.

Stick500 and toughguy---thanks for the input.

Stick500---i saw that pic. That is inspiring. I fished that area a few years ago. Targeted channels and would catch a carp occasionally. Wish I would have caught that beaut.

I'ver heard Loring Pond in downtown is a place you can catch goldfish pretty easily.

Yeah, that would be the spot. Can you fish there? Since it is so close to fruity town, you would think some organization for the ethical treatment of cute carp would have outlawed it.....hooks maybe a public safety hazard as well.

I know of a little pond in burnsville that has clouds of bright red goldfish swimming around, but they are maybe 2 inchers.

I wonder if we live near the same pond? There are so many in Burnsville it's tough to say, but my wife sent me a picture last year with tons of small red fish near shore. This pond was off Burnsville Parkway.

A few years ago I caught a Goldfish in Albert Lee. Below the dam just off Hwy 65. Next to a Chinese food restaurant (go figure). I'll see if I still have it in photo bucket and post it if I do.

They may have killed off that lake since then so maybe someone from the area can let us know.

AL307-11-1.jpg

We had a get together on Lake Volney some years ago and I took this guy out to prefish the Lake.

SSCN0066.jpg