• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crestliner Hull Question

-Marc V-

Hi folks,

Still in the hunt for a boat. Looking at a Crestliner now from the late '90's. I asked the owner about the hull and if she has waves in it like she's spent some time getting beat on in big water since he's only owned the boat about a year. He kind of sighed, and said it does but that's how crestliners are made to a point welding the the aluminum to the frame. He said he has owned a few crestliners and they've all been this way. Think he's feeding me a line? Or do other crestliners naturally have a wavy bottom? The boat is a little bit of a hike away so I can only really see pics of her and that's a little hard to tell from pics...

Now to be fair, you probably should define "waves"

I would say a wave would be 1/8" or more in say, 4'

I was a Crestliner dealer for about 12 years until I sold the business. Crestliners should not have waves in the hull. From the outside, you will be able to see where the welds were done on the inside and you may have some minor unevenness at that point but not waves.

II know a little bit about boats and I can tell you a couple things: no, you should not be seeing "waves" in the hull sides or bottom of your Crestliner....or any other decently built aluminum boat.

Yes, a glass boat of equal basic dimensions will ride "softer" and thus basically dryer. But an operator has a lot to do with controlling how "wet" or "dry" your boat ride is gonna be.

Since moving to far NW Minnesota we have operated a Crestliner Fishhawk with a Yamaha engine. It is a well built and sturdy boat, a great fishing boat for up to four people and will pull folks around on tubes etc. In the list of boats I have owned it is at the bottom for size....it is, to me, a small boat! But it is perfect for what it apparently is designed for; fresh water fishing on lakes with REASONABLE weather and sea conditions prevailing. I would probably not choose it to run right up the middle of a large MN lake with measured 4-5' waves......but unless forced to be there I would not be doing that anyway.

Sure there are other nice fishing boats out there, but I am impressed by the Crestliner Fish Hawks.

Thanks guys...figured it was a little odd. I'd love a glass boat. And a four stroke that I'd be able to ski behind but the price points with both of those combined make things a bit tougher. Be great if money or the size of my garage weren't something I need to worry about.

Buy what you can afford now and gain experience. But don't let yourself be knotted up by stories of "wet" and "dry" boats, wavy bottoms etc. Any boat can be wet or dry, based on a bushel basket of variables. One of the major variables is the operator of the boat.

Glass, just because of it's extra weight and the fact it can readily be built with more flare and a deeper bow will tend to ride softer. But you can get into design discussions that'll keep you up all night.

Buy a nice small boat your family can use and have fun. But if oil is flowing out of the motor and there is a 1" hole in the bottom I'd pass on it! LOL

I've got a sportfish and could see waves in the front of the hull when new. They are only in the front where the aluminum bends around. the bottom is smooth. Had a welded forester when they made welded fishing boats. I could see waves in that also. if the bottom is smooth it won't affect the performance. I have noticed them in many crestliners some more than others.

I have a 99 1650 tiller with a 60hp 2 stroke. I run all over Mille Lacs in all kinds of weather. Proper weight placement and enough horsepower makes a difference. Do I get wet? Ya but I live with it. The bottom is starting to show waves between the ribs. Doesent effect performance and after pounding waves on the pond for muskies all these years, I can live with that. Glass would be nice, have had it before, but this is what I have now.

Okay you guys, I won't dispute that you see "waves" in the hulls. I guess what I see, if anything, is normal manufacturing flex of an aluminum structure. Does not worry me. Check out the fuselage of your next 747 ride.

I've got a '98 1750SC FH and a 115 with no waves in the hull and it is dry as can be on anything less than 4' rollers. If you're going to be out in water like that, yeah get something different. Personally, I don't like to and/or I can find somewhere to tuck into to fish. Thus, I'm no Eddie Aikau big-wave expert when it comes to boats because I choose not to be in them.

I worked at Crestliner form 01 to 06, I left just before they moved to New York Mills. The problem you are talking about is called "Pourposing" (not sure I spelled that right). What it does is jump out of the water at certain throttle. It came from the placement of the "Knees" into the back of the hull and all the heat generated from welding. The "fix" that was used involved removing the back deck and flipping the boat over. Then a 2" X 6" and a BFH or post maul was employed to straighten the bottom back out. It was most prevalent in 1750's. After about 03 they started burning in shorter welds and revamped the jigs used in setting the stringers and knee's. They also went to thicker aluminum.

I worked at Crestliner form 01 to 06, I left just before they moved to New York Mills. The problem you are talking about is called "Pourposing" (not sure I spelled that right). What it does is jump out of the water at certain throttle. It came from the placement of the "Knees" into the back of the hull and all the heat generated from welding. The "fix" that was used involved removing the back deck and flipping the boat over. Then a 2" X 6" and a BFH or post maul was employed to straighten the bottom back out. It was most prevalent in 1750's. After about 03 they started burning in shorter welds and revamped the jigs used in setting the stringers and knee's. They also went to thicker aluminum.

that's the problem with my dads boat. The thing porpoises BAD. Really needs wave wackers in the back too because of the insanely low transom. He refuses to buy a bow mount minkota and the boat just about floods out while backtrolling into waves