• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Remodel

So I have remodeled 2 boats so far and they have been 14 footers. Well I was given my Grandparents boat after they passed away, and am now looking at remodeling it this spring. I'll try to keep this up to date with pictures and what I have needed. Last year I had to redo the entire wiring since it was all melted together (they didn't have fuses on anything). I did put in a new aerator pump, bilge pump, automatic switch for the bilge pump and a new radio (that was free from a co-worker). Here's a couple of pictures to see what I started with..full-23988-43085-2012_05_05_16_41_41_458

full-23988-43086-2012_05_05_16_42_05_444

full-23988-43087-2012_05_05_16_42_13_19.

full-23988-43088-2012_05_10_05_57_01_958

full-23988-43089-2012_05_10_05_57_20_814

Looks like you have a good project on your hands. Don't forget to throw a little paint on the trailer when your at it to make the whole package look good going down the road! wink

You've got a nice canvas to work with, and I am sure your Grandparents will be smiling as you fix her up!

Here is some advice, as I think I gave plenty from my rehabs before, but make sure to use REALLY strong seat bases and mount them extra heavy duty. I prefer the 3/4" pin style, though if you want to use TaperLock I have 4 brand new bases/post/seat mount that you could pm me on wink (from my new pontoon that I didn't even have them put on it, as I wanted new 3/4" pin style)

Also, putting in GOOD (which usually means expensive...) seats will make it much more comfy to fish from, and really make it look newer and fancier wink Well worth the expense to do it right.

While you have the floor out, make sure to fill hull with water and look for any leaks. This is the time to tighten rivets and reinforce things.

Last, can't recall if you used marine plywood before, but I am a huge of it over any other. That is what it is made for, and it is nice and straight and smooth.

Good luck, looking forward to watching the progress!

When I was given the boat last summer I did remove all of the flooring and vacuumed out all of the mouse nests(it sat in a barn not used for 12 years) and filled it with water and it didn't leak at all. Last year I also sanded and painted the trailer black. over the weekend I did get the new floor in and am now working on changing the wiring. My hope is that I'll be able to have seating for my wife and both kids, and it looks like I'll be able to do that. I'll post some pictures in the next couple of days.

Just a little update on how the build is going, I rewired just about everything and built the rear bench that will serve for seating, gas tank storage, starting battery storage and an extra storage box. While I was rewiring everything I decided to add a battery gauge so I could check the status of my batteries while on the lake. As for the rear bench I made the frame for under the seats out of treated 2x10's I'm also going to leave the front part of the seat box open so a person can push a small cooler under it or rain gear. The opening under the seats is 9.5"H x 14.5"W x 12"D, the area between the seats is where the starting battery is going to go. I was also able to install all of the seats and now I just need to finish off the top of the rear platform and replace the carpet on the rest of the boat. full-23988-43642-img_1331.jpg

full-23988-43643-img_1333.jpg

full-23988-43644-img_1334.jpg

full-23988-43645-img_1335.jpg

full-23988-43646-img_1339.jpg

Here's a couple of picture of the progress so far.

Looks good, my only concern would be the amount of weight you are adding to the rear of the boat.

Might need to remove some material here and there to reduce weight depending on how she sits in the water.

When I rebuilt my old Crestliner about 10 years ago or so, I wound up re-doing part of it to move one of the batteries to the front because I had weight distribution issues.

Just something to keep in mind.

One other suggestion I would have is to only use treated wood unless you have a great cover and are never going to fish in the rain? wink

I have read that treated wood in contact with Aluminum is a bad idea. I would check up on that if I were going to use pressure treated wood in a boat.

I have read that treated wood in contact with Aluminum is a bad idea. I would check up on that if I were going to use pressure treated wood in a boat.

I think it's fine if your using it for support on other wood like he has it. wink

Yeah I used treated wood for the majority of it. I also thought about the weight that I would be adding. Last year I had both batteries and the gas tank in the rear and it ran fine. This year I moved the trolling motor battery to the front of the steering console to help with the weight. There is a gap above the rear deck and the splash guard by the motor that I'm going to leave open for venting.

Just so we're all on the same page here the compartment on the driver side is going to be for the gas tank, the one on the passenger side is going to be for lifejackets and other storage, so there is only going to be 1 gas tank in the boat. The compartment on the passenger side will also hold the gas tank if I need to move weight to the other side of the boat for better weight distribution.

I have a question for you guys, I can't seem to find the Max capacity ratings tag on the boat anywhere. Do you of you know what the max H.P., Persons, and weight is for the boat? Just wondering mostly about the people and weight of gear, since I put in places for 4 seats, I'm starting to question if the max is 3 people. I have fished four out of it before and it was fine, but would just like to know for sure. The boat is a 1982 Sea Nymph fishing machine (FM 161). Thanks

I am sure it is rated for at least 4, maybe 5, if a 16' boat. Weight, I am not sure.

It looks good! My only comment is that it does look like you have added a decent amount of weight in the stern, with the 2xWood. You might find that you porpoise when you get it out, but then again it might be fine. If so, a fin on lower unit would likely help, if needed.

I bet you end up putting the gas on the port side wink

I am liking the pin style bases you are using smile that is what I prefer. One thought, you could put bases under the two rear seats, that way you would only need as many seats as people when you go - not to use them as raised seats, and not to have them rotate, but so you can remove them easily if not needed. And all seats would be interchangeable. and the little spring gives some cushion wink but might be a big high for little kids to sit on.

Nice job smile

I found the Capacity tag on the boat, and it is rated for a Max H.P. of 60, and a max weight of 815#'s and 6 passengers. Does the max weight include the weight of the motor or is that excluding the motor weight. Because if it does include the motor weight my motor weighs 240#'s that would only leave 575 pounds for 6 people and gear. The 6 people must be really skinny then.

Had a boat dealer offer a cute response once when I asked him the same question. He replied, "I've never seen a CO carry scale, but they can all count to six." grin

Nice...

But yes most boat weight ratings do not include persons, motor and gear.

So if it says 1000 pounds, motor weighs 400 pounds, 100 pounds of trolling motor and dual batteries, another 100 pounds of tackle, rods and misc...

It only leaves you with 400 pounds for people.

I know there have been numerous times where i am at least 300 pounds or more over the tag and didnt have any issues, now with that said I wouldn't go out on Mille Lacs, Leech or LOW that much overweight.

Thought I'd update this thread now that I have the boat done and have had it in the water already. I did end up moving the gas tank to the other compartment to even out the load when I'm fishing by my self. Here's a couple of pictures of the finished job.

full-23988-45375-img_2548.jpg

full-23988-45376-img_2552.jpg

full-23988-45377-img_2554.jpg

full-23988-45378-img_2555.jpg

full-23988-45379-img_2563.jpg