• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

iPhone question - transferring files

LMITOUT

Why is the iphone necessary? I can understand all of the restrictions on the PC -- but in this case I doubt the same folks locking down the PC are really that stuck on the iPhone, considering the PC cannot even have iTunes.

I'd find a way to ditch it. If there's a programatic reason for it or contractual red tape, then perhaps this file transfer hassle is enough of an excuse to ditch that sucker. Or get them to let you install iTunes and use one of the multitude of apps that work with the iPhone, if they want you to use the iPhone.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not just use your Android?

I look at it this way, I was a Ford technician, when a GM came in the door, I not once got p oed when our Ford scan tool didnt communicate, or run all of the tests that the GM scan tool can run. I understand, they are 2 totally different creatures, even though they are both cars. Sure you can purchase a toned down version and down load it onto the Ford scan tool, and be able to run limited tests with it, but I dont think it is fair to assume it will work as though our Ford scan tool was a GM tool.

Just like you wouldnt expect your Android to work as you want it to with an Apple computer with no additional apps, or programs loaded on it.

I happen to like the iphone, I cant stand the Apple computers. On my laptop, I run Itunes, I also have Safari loaded on my laptop, but I dont use it, unless I have to.

Maybe an option is to bring a laptop and transfer the files needed with a USB stick. or does the computer have Blue Tooth? Can you transfer it that way?

I've transferred a file that way using bluetooth. Of course not all PCs will have bluetooth. Especially budget corporate machines. Some sort of USB dongle thing is pretty cheap for adding bluetooth tho.

Bluetooth was actually my main way of transferring stuff off my old iphone to my laptop until I hacked the phone and turned it into a functional electronic device..

I look at it this way, I was a Ford technician, when a GM came in the door, I not once got p oed when our Ford scan tool didnt communicate, or run all of the tests that the GM scan tool can run. I understand, they are 2 totally different creatures, even though they are both cars. Sure you can purchase a toned down version and down load it onto the Ford scan tool, and be able to run limited tests with it, but I dont think it is fair to assume it will work as though our Ford scan tool was a GM tool.

More like one scan tool works on Fords, Chevy, Toyota, Honda, Dodge, Lamborghinis, BMW, etc etc etc and you need a second scan tool that just works on Deloreans.

Ok, I would still not be p oed thst all I would need to do to make it work was to install a small program for free. On my personal scan tool I have all domestic vehicles installed on it for $1200. If I wanted European vehicles it costs me another $900, and Asian vehicles is another $900, just for software.

I don't understand why it's hard to imagine you need to download a free program that would take a minute to do is out of line. I realize Apple does this to be unique, so they can run there own system, and if you want to use it with a system that isn't theirs, you need to install a small free program.

There are things that need to be taken into consideration when you are talking workstations in a enterprise network that you don't when you are talking home PCs. 1st on the list is security, 2nd is compatibility, 3rd is vendor support there are more too. Any one of those could kill installing something like iTunes on workstation. Often installing apps like that is just an invitation to malware/spyware/viruses and the like. Heck the way things set up in many places you need an IT staff member to install apps because we don't give end users the rights to install apps on their own, mostly for the already listed reasons.

I don't understand why it's hard to imagine you need to download a free program that would take a minute to do is out of line. I realize Apple does this to be unique, so they can run there own system, and if you want to use it with a system that isn't theirs, you need to install a small free program.

Where is this "small free program" you speak of? Are you talking about iTunes? If so I've already said that is out of the question, and once again, the PC has no internet connectivity.

Also, can you download more than just photos to a Mac using the USB cable (not using iTunes)? If not, then your rant about Ford/GM = Mac/PC is apples to oranges (no pun intended).

There are things that need to be taken into consideration when you are talking workstations in a enterprise network that you don't when you are talking home PCs. 1st on the list is security, 2nd is compatibility, 3rd is vendor support there are more too. Any one of those could kill installing something like iTunes on workstation. Often installing apps like that is just an invitation to malware/spyware/viruses and the like. Heck the way things set up in many places you need an IT staff member to install apps because we don't give end users the rights to install apps on their own, mostly for the already listed reasons.

I knew you'd get it.

Been there, done that. But if no changes to the current setup are possible or allowed, then there is nothing that can be done to improve the current situation, right? I think that iTunes is pretty central to the whole apple ecosystem, so a mac probably already has it and that might solve the problem.

An iphone and a pc without iTunes are likely fundamentally incompatible with respect to data interchange. And if they are that paranoid/security conscious that itunes is considered a threat, they won't go along with any other solution either. How about you install iTunes, use it, and immediately uninstall it?

And if they are that sensitive, surely they aren't going to be happy with you sticking a thumb drive into their computer either. Lord knows what could be on that.

An iphone and a pc without iTunes are likely fundamentally incompatible with respect to data interchange.

Again this is why many IT pros are not in favor of MAC, they don't play well with others

And if they are that paranoid/security conscious that itunes is considered a threat, they won't go along with any other solution either. How about you install iTunes, use it, and immediately uninstall it?

Good possibility he doesn't have rights to install apps.

And if they are that sensitive, surely they aren't going to be happy with you sticking a thumb drive into their computer either. Lord knows what could be on that.

Easier to control a USB drive and what is put on taken off as compared to an app that is installed or allowing end users full admin access a workstation.

Believe me this is not done whimsically to just PO a few end users. If you were ever part of an IT dept during a major virus attack that got inside the network and allowed to fully propagate you would understand why many things are locked down the way they are.

And with some vendor supplied PCs you install anything, I repeat anything and it voids any warranty of the workstation working, it breaks and you are on your own getting the apps/s working again.

The overall solution, a device that plays well with the rest of the world.

The overall solution, a device that plays well with the rest of the world.

In the meantime there is no solution, sort of rock and hard place it appears. But not allowing iTunes in what seems like a BYOD situation doesn't seem smart.

I agree, if your company is goin to have PC's as their computers, then iphones as their company phones, they need to install itunes on all of them. Since they dont play together with out it installed. Or have Androids as the company phones.

Earlier I wasnt comparing apples to apples, or even oranges, I was just stating, that they are 2 different systems, and unless you install Itunes, they dont play together, and you shouldt expect them too. Just like in my example, if I had a scan Ford scan tool, I wouldnt expect it to work on a GM, unless the the GM option was installed, just like the itunes option being installed. Two different systems.

In the meantime there is no solution, sort of rock and hard place it appears. But not allowing iTunes in what seems like a BYOD situation doesn't seem smart.

It doesn't even sound like a BYOD situation. It sounds like the corporate office supplies the workers with incompatible devices...

Hey it could be worse... My wife's company gave her a blackberry. What a POS.

Earlier I wasnt comparing apples to apples, or even oranges, I was just stating, that they are 2 different systems, and unless you install Itunes, they dont play together, and you shouldt expect them too. .

Android isn't Windows, yet it plays together with a PC quite nicely without any magical software.

It sounds like the corporate office supplies the workers with incompatible devices...

It's not even that. It's really just a unique situation that really doesn't even affect me that often but when it does I was hoping to be more efficient at it.

I was just baffled knowing how easy it is working with an Android device that the magical do-everything iPhone can't even file share. But then again, they just finally incorporated copy and paste not that long ago. Heck, even Blackberry's could do that. grin

I just assumed (wrongly, I have come to find out) there was a simple "app for that" which would allow a $600 iPhone to have some characteristics of a $4 memory stick without going through all the gymnastics to do it.

It does, as long as the owner of the PC is not too stubborn to install iTunes. At least that is the conclusion I have come to.

And I don't recall ever reading anyone saying an iPhone was a "magical do everything" device. Who told you that?

And I don't recall ever reading anyone saying an iPhone was a "magical do everything" device. Who told you that?

Apple has had a habit of using the word "magical" to describe its devices:

apple-creation-0426-rm-eng.jpg

The mouse that comes with their new computers is even called the "magic mouse"