• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Worm Color, type poll

RandyFish

Again, a question about plastics from me....

What is your 3 favorite worm colors -- not brush hog, tube, or craw -- but worm color.

The more folks I speak with: amatuer tourney fisherman, pro fisherman, tackle shop owners, the more confused I get.

I hear more "go to" colors than a rainbow: Purple shad, white, pumpkin, bright green. The same goes for brand: Power Bait, Zoom, Culprit, Storm, etc.

So let me take a poll and find out. Top 3 colors, fav. brand and why.

Any rule of thumb to simplify the process.
would also be good.

Thanks.
RandyFish

Randy,

I am not sure there is a simple process to choosing a worm color. There are the usual colors depending on water clarity and color. But more often then not I have do well when I experimented with different colors. So here is my 2 cents.

I love Powerbait! Except that they only last 1 or 2 fish at the most. So it gets kind of spendy. My favorite colors are Pumpkinseed, Black and Red Shad. I will have these 3 colors where ever I go. My favorite styles are 7" Power Worms, and the new 6" Bungee Worms. In my experience Bungee worms work get when the fishing is tough. The reason I like Powerbait is the fish do hold on to it longer (as compared to non-scented baits).

The best place to buy Powerbaits is MILLS FLEET FARM. Yup, hard to beleive huh? A couple of weeks ago they had ALL powerbaits on sale for $2.79 That included the Tournament series baits which at most other stores are $3.99 so I though that was pretty good. Well there is my opinion.

smile.gif Happy Fishing smile.gif

My favorite Power bait was purple 7" power worms, but they discontinued them a couple of years ago. I had emailed them to ask where I could find some because they worked so well. Red Shad 7" works. I did use their Pulse worms, that have ribs on them for a while this summer. Same red shad color works great. Texas rig seems to work quite well. I also use 7" pumpkin/chartruse for spinner bait trailers. This information is for mid-summer success working brush and docks.

My favorite colors for worms are green pumpkin, black, and pumpkinseed. As for brands, I primarily use berkley powerworms in the seven inch and six inch ribbontail style. I like berkley because bass will hold onto them a long time and I've had success with them. Another major reason i use berkley is because their outlet store is only a twenty minute drive from my house, and they have lots of good deals there.

[This message has been edited by kt (edited 09-11-2002).]

I would say my all around favorite would have to be a plain old purple Powerworm.

But, I also love the Culprit worm in the black shad color. Culprits seem to last much longer than the Powerworms, but you also loose a little in the scent department.

------------------
>"////=<
Gull Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/gullguide
Brainerd-Mille Lacs-Willmar
Bemidji-Ottertail

I too am a PowerBait Fan. Fish just hang on to 'em a bit longer.
The color I use depends on the condition, but I've found that dark colors (I use black with blue sparkle quite often) seems to be the most versatile.
I use a 7-inch PowerBait "PowerHawg" all the time. It's my go-to worm.

Happy Fishin!
(ain't it always?)

I'll narrow it down to one...

5" Slider (black) on a Gopher Mushroom head. Vary the size of the jig head to the conditions and how fast/slow you want to cover water. Fishes effortlessly through the deep weedline and fish usually hook themselves on these light wire hooks - all it takes is a bit of pressure to drive it home. Will catch just about every fish that swims, so you get some bonus crappies, pike, walleye and bull 'gills. Works great on medium action spinning gear with either 8# mono or 2/10# PowerPro.

FLB

[This message has been edited by Freckled Lady Bucket (edited 09-12-2002).]

POWERBAIT POWERBAIT, can you say POWERBAIT. All the years Iv`e been bassing I always go back to em. "When wouldn`t you want to catch more fish". As for colors I keep going back to black and blue flake or dark worm with flake in it. I think the extra flash given off by the flake does help. The new bungee worms have been awsome this year! I pulled out the 10inch black with blue tail last weekend in a tournament and did very well. Caught 4 of the 8 fish I boated on the big worm. Also they are much stronger than the smaller power worms. 4 fish on two worms and they weren`t even tore up yet. Plus a worm that size you can bite off the head a bit and use it some more. Fishermans factory outlet store on the berkley HSOforum will get you most power baits in the 100 count for ten to fifteen bucks. If your in the area it`s across the road from the berkley building in spirit lake. Keep jerken

Flip

I would have to agree with most, POWERBAITS, I do prefer the 6" Pulse worm in the watermelon color and second I would have to take the 7" ribbon tail in the motor oil shade. Don' go without some creature baits, such as Lizards, tubes, skirted grubs, etc..

Keep RIPPIN SOME LIP.....

Powerbait 7-inch purple. Not wild purple. Not tournament strength wild purple. Not metallic fleck purple.

Just purple. Good luck finding them anymore. I luckly found a big stash on clearance a couple years back, just when they discontinued them (they must have, never seen them since), so I've still got a supply.

I've used all colors in a ton of conditions, and I just keep having the best luck on purple. Even though, on the lake I fish, every bass I've ever opened up in 20 years has had crayfish in them, purple is the best worm color.

Powerbait craws in crayfish colors are great on this lake, as are green/brown Powerbait lizards. But worms, purple.

Go figure.

------------------
Steve ([email protected])

I prefer powerbait also. The colors I throw most is pumkinseed and black. I use the six and seven inchers threaded onto all-terrain jig heads. I like the all-terrain because they seem to hold the bait on longer than the gopher heads. I also like to use producto worms they have a real nice action.

Don't get to worried about color, yes most days it can really help you but you need to keep it simple then find out a few colors that work well for you and give you confidence. You just need to remember, that you need natural colors for clear water(watermellonseed, or pumpkinseed work great) and Some darker colors for darker water(red/shad, tequilla, black)... If I had to pick 4 colors, that would be them! Maybe add a blueflake to that, works great in all water!

Best of luck to you!

Black - no twisty tail
white - no twisty tail
I hate those friggin' tails.

I always rigged according to the cover, depth, snags and such.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

I had awesome luck this year on both largemouth and smallies w/ Powerbait 4" twintail powergrubs in green/chartruce. I fished them w/ Vegie jigs and used them for trailers on my jigs. They worked great! I liked the brighter colors this year because the water was so dark from all the rian stiring up the mud.

------------------
J.P.S.

I fish the Faribault area lakes the most and have best luck on Black with blue fleck 7" power lizzards. When using the worm I found that Tequlia Sunrise was the best for me.

Any one fish Cedar Lake in Rice Co. much? It had a bad winter 2 years ago. I only got out there a couple of times last year and was wondering if the bass are making a good come back. About 3 years ago we were averaging about 3-4#,s a fish and an occacional 6#. Catch and Released every one, thoes bass are way to fun to catch.