• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Advice For Plowing

TMF89

So my neighbor told me if I helped him install a new plow on his ATV, I could use it on our driveway for the rest of the year. Now I've ridden a few ATVs in my day (I don't own one but I've drove one probably over 20 times) so I'm competent at operating it.

My concern comes in during the actual plowing. For example, I don't even know if you're supposed to let the plow rest on the pavement lol. Like, I would think scrapping a big metal blade along pavement/asphalt would be good?? Lol I'd be worried about it catching on something and causing damage. Does that not really happen? I noticed the plow had rings on each end, are those supposed to keep the blade from hitting the ground?

After that, I'd like some advice on plowing in general, as far as how to go about doing it. What patterns do you guys do as far as the most efficient way to clear a rectangular driveway?

Thanks for the answers to these stupid questions, but it's something I just have literally no experience with, and I really would rather not ask my neighbor! blush lol

I let mine ride on the pavement. When plowing you can angle the blade and push it all to one side of the driveway. It all depends on where you want the snow pile/piles. My driveway is 40x40. I plow it side to side pushing it to the north one snowfall and then the next snowfall push it to the south side. If there is a lot of road salt in the snow you are pushing it will probably kill the grass where you pile it.

plow goes on pavement. For your driveway I would start perpendicular to the length up by the garage door and plow 3 widths so you have the driveway cleared near your garage door. Then back into the plowed area and push the snow out the end of your driveway. If there is a lot of snow you will want to angle the plow more than just the first setting.

Also, when you plow with the plow angled all the way the ATV has a tendency to want to not go straight due to all the weight your pushing. You can counter this with some steering techniques. Also, when you use winch to lift plow don't winch it in all the way, it causes too much stress on the rope or cable. Just lift it enough so that when you back up it's not pulling snow with you.

Finally, if it's going to snow a lot I plan on plowing a few times or maybe three so I'm not trying to push more snow than my machine can handle.

Been plowing snow since 4 this morning,dont even want to think about snow rite now,but wind row it to the side you want it on.When I say windrow-angle the blade towards the side you want the snow and keep taking a chunk each length of the pass,if you take to big of a chunk,meaning the whole blades width you will have more leftover trails to clean up, maybe take half a blade width or a little more and see how that works for you.Some plows do have skids so the blade is not directly touching the pavement,however they dont do that great of a job and leave a thin layer of snow behind.

Really depends on where you can put the snow from your driveway and you should be able to figure that out pretty easily. I took the skids off of mine as these blades aren't real heavy anyway and wont damage the driveway. It should be spring loaded so if it does catch on something the blade will fold over just like a big plow. They work pretty well up to about 6 inches of snow depending on how wet and heavy of snow it is. I found it easier to plow twice rather than let the snow get to deep. Also if you have a winch to raise the plow figure out how high it goes otherwise you can bend things or break the lift cable. A little practice and you will figure it out.

The first winter I plowed with my wheeler I learned something important---push the snow a lot further than you think you need to. Once you get a plow bank established, you can't move it. If we don't get much snow the rest of winter, no problem. If we do, you will be glad to have your banks away from your driveway. Also, the advice about not letting the snow get way deep is right on. A couple 4-5 inch plowings are lots easier than one 8-10 inch.

I still find wheeler plowing fun except when it gets below zero.