• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

post season scouting

minky

Any time in the woods looking for sign is helpful but I'd hesitate to hang my hat on anything you find now that you wouldn't plan on hunting late season next year. The deer are in full wintering mode now and probably aren't using the same areas they'll be using during most of the archery season next year.

What you'll likely see for the freshest sign now will be around any coniferous cover that may be in the area. With the last cold snap we've had the deer were likely using that type of cover just to help retain a little warmth and stay out of the wind as much as possible.

You could trim shooting lanes now but come next season the brush may grow in quite a bit and what you think is clear now may not still be next season. If you have set ups you know you want to hunt next year, it might not be a bad idea to do major work now if you want trudge through the snow to do it.

I know post season scouting has been talked about quite a bit but personally, I'm on the side of leaving them alone for awhile so they don't have to expend any extra energy to run away from me snooping around their bedroom. Plus its time to go ice fishing!

smile

I know post season scouting has been talked about quite a bit but personally, I'm on the side of leaving them alone for awhile so they don't have to expend any extra energy to run away from me snooping around their bedroom. Plus its time to go ice fishing!

smile

This is my approach too. I try shoot my bow, work out, and occupy my time with things that will distract me from the lack of an archery season.

It is tough now but in a few months you can scout last seasons sign. The biggest thing I look for is the actual buck bed. If you know where that is it can cut down on hunting unproductive areas. Bucks will use a bed for years and if they are killed another will take it over. Bucks dont just walk around and bed anywhere it is all thought out. Find the beds and you'll be in his bedroom..... That is what my scouting is going to consist off and its heavily hunted public... Good luck!

I always do some light scouting after rifle season closes, with snow on the ground you can't scout as well but you can sure get an idea about any mature bucks (large tracks) who survived the guns. If you follow their tracks a bit they might even lead you to some of their core areas.

After that I would wait until spring when all the snow is gone. The winter pretty much holds all the previous falls sign in place. Then its just a matter of logging some miles and finding the best sign. I prep some trees and keep a scouting log of the places I visit. The more time you put in during the off season the better results you will see during the season.

All my local spots are void of deer this time of year as they winter miles away. Makes it tough to do any scouting. Definitely a great time of year to scout though if your ground holds deer year-round. It's a great time to do some chainsaw work as well. Hinging for both bedding cover and funneling deer for trail cams and stand placement. All the prep work is nearly as exciting as the hunt itself.

Once the snow melts a little, I plan on getting out and hoofin it around on some state land to find potential funnels, bedding areas and whatnot. Then I plan on revisiting in the summer based on my findings from the late winter/early spring.

If I build the courage, I might try some door knockin too around this time. It's worked for smallgame (dove hunting) before, would it work for deer?

If I can find like a 80" shed layin there, I figure it may be worth looking into later. Or even something close to that wink

I don't do lanes now, but I do like to cut some of the deadfall trunks now to create travel corridors and clean things up. Also look for some good rub lines of a buck that could still be alive.

Mostly just keep an eye on the boys till they shed.