• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spearing carp in winter

chewynoeyes

Has anyone speared carp in the winter?

I have never seen any in winter although i have never targeted them. This is only my 2nd year spearing.

Any ideas on where to find them? Metro lakes with an over population and clear enough water to spear.

Or do they stir up the bottom to much to see them.

And yes i do smoke and eat them.

I used to spear all the time as a kid growing up but that was back in the 70's and 80's. We would go to Perch Lake by Truman pretty much every weekend and I speared a LOT of carp out of that lake as well as Northerns. If you get the big ones cruising through they can be a lot of fun.

I speared one that was over 30lbs a few years back with my cousin. We used to just set up for pike and if lots of carp in the lake they will eventually come through. As mentioned above though, they do not stop so you gotta be ready with the spear. The big one we got, I was ready and threw as it passed but only hit it in the tail. We could not get it up so my cousin stuck another spear in it. It can bend the tines on the spear pretty good (at least that one did).