• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

And it comes down to this!

Porcupine

Good luck to all out today! I called it quits after this past weekend and have moved on to everything else that this winter and coming spring have to offer. Enjoy the woods, just make sure there is some outdoors left for me when it comes time again for maple syrup and the garden smile

The deers whooped me good tonight, had a perfect broadside shot at 38 yards and it was a clean miss, normally that is a chip shot for me and the DNA. String hit my arm because of the weird angle I had to shoot.

Half dozen deer popped up in front of me about 70 yards away, 1 of them fed it's way into me, closest she was going to get was 38 yards. Started to draw on her and at 3/4 draw my elbow hits my foot peg because I have them climbing sticks on that stand. I was sitting down so in order to get to full draw I had to move my whole upper body and lean out to the right which must of made me extend my left arm out to far.

I could barely feel either one of my hands by this point because I was wearing them mitts that flip open so you can use your fingers, I flipped them when I first seen the deer so I could get clipped onto my release. Ended up taking the one about 20 minutes to finally get in range so my fingers are exposed this whole time lol.

Anyway a long story short string ends up hitting my arm because of the funky way I had to draw and arrow goes deflecting into a down tree. I was bummed because I was thinking I was about to get me some venny for ice fishing this winter, but I was happy for the clean miss and not an injured deer.

Note to self: Move climbing sticks, and shoot a plump doe in Sept. grin

Dang, they made me feel like a rookie tonight!!

My report is not what I had hoped for. I had a great feeling about it until I got to my creek crossing on the way to my stand. I typically cross near where the deer do and when I got there the creek was half ice. This ice has obviously impacted the deer travel as there were very few tracks there. A good lesson to learn I guess is the changes to the creek also change the deer. I knew this happened when the water is high but this is the first time I have seen them change due to cold. Although I also have never seen the creek frozen this time of year. Another note is my Muck boots DO NOT mix well with my lone wolf stand when it is -5 degrees. I will bring a carpet remnant to lay on the platform so it doesn't sound like there is a 220 pound mouse squeaking in the tree.