• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spearing question from a guy who doesn't spear

ThunderLund78

Hi All,

Taking some friends up to my family's cabin in a few weeks for some ice fishing. I personally don't spear (nothing against it, just never got into it) but a friend of mine does and wants to bring his dark house. Our lake has a 24"-36" slot on pike. I've read the regs and am now more confused. Sounds like yuo can spear on a slot lake that don't have a specific spearing ban but the size rule still applies? Or does a slot automatically imply a spearing ban? I called the DNR fisheries office and left a message and they wont call me back. Can someone help me out? Can he spear legally on the lake? If so, how do you ensure you only take legal fish? Appreciate the help. Thanks!

I would tell him to go to another near bye lake to spear. Yes you can spear on a lake with a slot limit but it adds some stress to what is supposed to be very relaxing. You have to be very careful as if you stick one protected by the slot, it is not like you can throw it back so you just broke the law.

I looked at the list of prohibeted waters and the lake not listed--at least that's clear. I happen to really like the slot on the lake and have started to notice the differnece in 5 years. I may suggest to him to just leave the darkhouse at home and we just run tip-ups instead.

Does anyone here spear on a slot lake? if so, is there anything you do to try and get a good feel for the fish's size?

I looked at the list of prohibeted waters and the lake not listed--at least that's clear. I happen to really like the slot on the lake and have started to notice the differnece in 5 years. I may suggest to him to just leave the darkhouse at home and we just run tip-ups instead.

Does anyone here spear on a slot lake? if so, is there anything you do to try and get a good feel for the fish's size?

I have speared a few slot lakes and spear the ones smaller are a easy thing, experience is what really helps in what a fish size is. The bigger fish will be wide between the eyes and a 36 inch fish is pushing around 13.5 pounds. Like I said experience and time over the spear hole is what will help the most. No real easy way of telling the exact size so its simple if you don't know don't throw.

Another thing you can do is have your buddy cut the spear hole and fish out of it use the decoys and such to attract the big ones and try and catch them with a fishing rod. You can also video some of those pike and that's a blast too. Last year I speared a lake with the same slot as your talking of and I saw 40 pike in a day and half of spearing. Three pike in the hole at the same time that were all pushing 8-10 pounds ,now that's a rush like no other.

Quote:
Can he spear legally on the lake?

Yes

Quote:
If so, how do you ensure you only take legal fish?

Don't make a mistake.

Just give him the facts and let him decide what method to use on slot limit lakes....

Quote:

Killing an illegal sized pike with darkhouse spear (intentional or not) - $125+ law library fee and restitution

Restitution for northern pike:

-$30 per fish up to 32”

-$60 per fish over 32”

In addition, any gear used to take the fish could be confiscated (such as rods/reels, spears).

License revocation is a possibility if two or more convictions in a 3 year period, or if restitution value is over $500.

Public conviction record for the offender.

Killing an illegal sized northern pike by hook and line - no penalty

If he is the type that has to spear everything he see's, he should go to a different lake. But, if he just enjoys seeing some nice fish and the possibility of a trophy, and taking some little eaters, tell him to bring the house. And the camera to take some pics if the water is clear.

Curious if anyone knows of anyone getting a fine for spearing a fish in a slot in the last couple years?

IMO making the effort to bring a house when you can only keep fish under 24" isn't worth it. Like mentioned above, maybe go to a different lake where you don't have to worry.