• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Saw?

mwal

With Fish's Ice saw how much ice can it chip thru to start a hole without needing an auger or spud to start the hole. Trying to decide if I need one. I currently use spud bar and 10 inch power auger. Is the saw actually faster? I know it would be much lighter and less mess

Mwal

We have 2 of them and they work awesome. I don't know that I've ever not started the hole with an auger though. You could probably chop through ice upto 6" without any issue but after that I'm not sure. The blade isn't completely rigid - it has some flex - making me think it wouldn't be the greatest at chipping through thick ice.

When we cut spear holes we use the auger to cut a hole in the upper left and bottom right, and use the ice saw for the rest. The hole is a lot cleaner.

I still usually bring a spud along to knock the block in half, to reduce the amount of weight I have to pull out at once.

I use an auger to drill out all 8 corners, then connect the dots with fish's saw. learned a cool trick though. try sawing 3 sides take chisel and kinda mark a line with the chisel on the side not cut. take a couple wacks at the block and it will pop loose.

I have had mine for about ten years also and last summer send it to Wayne to get re-sharpened and it cuts like new once again.

I have chipped threw 10 -12 inches of ice with it and have cut more hole than I would like to admit eek I will say that it is the best friend I have when going spearing. I also take it first ice for cutting hole to fish out of too way lighter and less stuff to hump out on the lake.Late season I do auger 4-6 holes then saw. I have used it late ice also for sight fishing panfish connected three old holes with it and was able to pic and choose the sunnies that came in.

I also have heard of a few guys using them for trapping beaver late season too.

I guess if your spear hole is Octagon shaped, then it would make sense for the pike to stop in the hole. wink ,but if they stop on the outside of the hole put a yellow light up and they will try to speed threw... laugh

I chipped through about 10-12 inches on Sunday. Darn auger wouldn't start so I figured what the heck. Didn't realize there was that much ice when I started. I was planning on 8 inches max. It went through pretty quick just quite a bit of work. Just got my Fish's ice saw a week ago and I don't know why the heck I waited so long to get one!