• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mr Heater Problem

Fourplay

Question

My Mr. Heater started acting up this weekend. First it quit running and low and I had to leave it on medium. Then it quit running on medium and now it will only run on high and that sounds like it's going to quit on me too. What's going on with this thing?

10 answers to this question

could be thermo coupler going bad or it's not close enough to heat shield, bad tank,
clogged line.
these things sure get some abuse shocked.gifbut are essential on days like this one,good luck. smile.gif

sounds like a piece of crud in the orifice. or maybe spider webs or cocoons in the air intake. more likely the first one. if you can get it apart, you should be able to see an extremely tiny pin hole through the orifice if not you'll have to un plug it, try maybe the wire off of a wire brush if you can't come up with something small and sturdy enough. try not to scratch the passage of the orifice itself as it is only brass. give it a wirl, it's not that hard. just don't lose any pieces, and don't forget where they go. good luck, jigglestick.

I would have to second the thermo coupler idea. This sounds like a problem from that little copper line. Also take out the little orfis on the top of the thermo coupler and clean it out. Use whatever you have laying around, toothpick ect. make sure you dry it out before you reinstalling. The thermo coupler will run you around $11. (good luck)
C&R~~~~>')))))><

I'd bet it's the thermal couple but it could be your propane tank is too cold too. A few years back my Mr.Heater acted up just like you described. It was -28 and windy pushing windchills to -70. We were fishing out of our perm shack but the tank was outside as usual. After a few hours fishin the heater started acting up for no appaerent reason. Went out and checked the tank and it was frosted up bigtime. Brought it inside and after a while it must have warmed up ? and the heater worked fine.
Just a thought since it's been a fairly cold winter so far.

never thought of that. there's a good chance that it was just to ****ed cold. imagine that. he's right, if the tank was frosted up that would do it too. a bad thermo couple wont control the size of your fire, or the amount of gas getting through, just whether the electromagnet will hold the valv open or not. try a warm tank first off.

------------------
keep a firm grip on your jiglestick!!....jigglestick....