• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Seeding

harvey lee

Why bother to do it now rather than in the spring? It isn't going to germinate until the ground warms up no matter what. If you put it down now the rodents will get their share, some will wash away during the melt, and what's left will just sit there.

what if you have a tilled up area and plan to rake it under?

I just tilled up about 1500sq ft of bad areas and plan to reseed. Debating if I want to do it now or wait until spring.

The place I bought my seed from suggested to wait another week and then do it.

Plant during a known snow fall that wont melt till spring,The critters cant get to it.In spring during melt the seed husk expands from the moisture it absorbs,its barbed and works its own way into the soil.The melt moisture will sprout the seed without watering.If its a dry spring it may need water but it will be sprouted and growing.

Critters except for birds will be done by the time the ground freezes-wait till spring and you will have to water and crtiters are an issue again. With this technique germination is only 5o%

that is for a variety of reasons including animals. But what is your time worth? No watering with this method-I am happy to buy a little more seed.

Voles, squirells floods, locusts, whatever 50% is lost 50% germinates-or wait till spring and water constantly and you still of course get <100% but yep >50%. And yes as the season goes on spots fill in too.