• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scent Smoking?

jerkbait

I have been reading about scent smoking clothes and equipment on another forum and many hunters are claiming that once they tried it now they won't hunt without it. There is a product out there called a scent smoker. The theory sounds good and it has my curiousity going. Anyone else here about this. Certainly something a person could try without having to buy anyhting.

Leech, I think the intent was to mask or cover up scent. I also think that the ash or carbon from smoke or ash absorbs any bacteria that humans put out. Hunters have dried clothes over fire for years and maybe they realized it or not I think it works.

MR

There are a few universally accepted truths & tactics with regards to hunting: hunt the wind, be quiet, be still, be stealthy, etc. There are 1,000,001 or more tactics whose effectiveness is up for debate. That's where I land on this one. Some tactics even provide for a bit of the Placebo Effect. If you think it works, it probably does.

Leech, I think the intent was to mask or cover up scent. I also think that the ash or carbon from smoke or ash absorbs any bacteria that humans put out. Hunters have dried clothes over fire for years and maybe they realized it or not I think it works.

MR

Meat, I get it. You know how old I am! wink Been in the woods few times. But not sure you need to spend around $85 bucks for this! wink

full-27051-38244-2012_02_042015_28_06.jp

Anyone burn wood for their home. If so you have an endless supply of activated charcoal. throw chunks from the wood stove in your clothes bin or bag, small chunk make great camo makeup. thats about as natural as it it gets. an works. Ive worked for the Dnr during waterfowl season an we'd take five gallon bucket out to the priveys an dump in coal an ash to keep the stink down. been using it in my clothes bin ever since. the charcoal that is

Probably works as well as carbon clothing, they will smell you but might not care. Think of it this way, deer can probably smell everything at once and don't get overpowered by a single strong odor smell, their lives really depend on it. So when they get down wind of us they would smell the smoke, a human, the dog [PoorWordUsage] on your boots, a thermos full of coffee and that acorn on the ground.

That's why you need to fill their nostrils w/ Nosejammer! laugh

I've been working on modifying deer genes, pretty soon they won't be able to smell anything and we can forget all this scent stuff. I'm also going reverse engineer their brains, they will be born super smart and end up incredibly stupid and rut crazy by age 5.

If you hunted out west in burn areas I would think it would be a great cover. I hear more often guys in high country hunts that won't start a fire unless it's an emergency for survival. If you believe it works try it. Keep us posted of how many deer pass down wind without busting you.

When I lived in nothern Mn. If I was short of work, I could and would take on some logging for loggers I knew.When areas were clear cut the stumps were burned off.I saw more deer while running a chain saw than deer hunting,Those burn areas they'd walk right out and watch.Within the next few days the deer were always there eating the grasses and shrubs that didnt burn.

Time spent in the woods in worth so much more than some gimmic!!! that is for profit.

EDIT When I saw the title scent smoking I knew it was for scent removal from traps>>Was I wrong!

That's why you need to fill their nostrils w/ Nosejammer! laugh

Dont get my started on nosejammer they cornered me at the Deer Classic 3 or 4 years ago wouldnt stop talking about how awesome it was before i just had to walk away

I've read the thread, along w/ all the Ozonics ones! Will you be trying the technique out this fall?

Not sure. That is why I am asking here. Seems like on AT I can't say I noticed anyone from MN on that thread. Did you? I guess I am still in the research phase.

The thing about this scent smoker is.... Can't you just do the same with an open fire? I mean.. Sure, you probably shouldn't "scent smoke" your clothes over a grill topped with a premium beef cut of some sort lathered in your local winning BBQ sauce and smoked sausages, but I'd imagine if one were to scent smoke their clothing, can't you just build a wood fire and just hang your clothes nearbye for 20 min or so?

And does this really work? Some of my weekend long bowhunting trips, we would opt to camp and we'd store our clothes in our totes before even getting into the truck to head back for camp. I'd sit around the fire, but before going out the next morning, I'd wipe myself down clean with scent control field wipes.

I thought of using a coffee can with holes in the side and throw some hickery chips in it. Not sur if it works or not. Alot of hunters are swearing by it. I am still in the debate mode. Doesn't sound like to many people here have ever done it.

I believe the whole concept of smoking is that the process kills bacteria that causes oder. If it works it's because of the human odor is gone and they are not making the connection that the new smell is danger.

Where I deer hunt I can smell the house's next by fireplace and along with the dozen mutts barking nonstop makes me wonder sometimes but, I guarantee when the deer bed 75 yards from there it doesn't bother them. They're conditioned to it. The dogs bug me worse than the deer seemed bothered by it. And I think the deer use it as they're advantage. When ever the dogs hear something or see a person, the whole state knows. Deer disappear. Smoking may work in one spot but not all.