• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Dog Advice

GottaGo

My family is seriously considering getting a new dog. It would be primarily a family dog but I would also want to use it for grouse hunting and a little bit of duck hunting. I've had several labs in the past but am thinking I want to try something different. I do have 3 young children so it would have to be good with kids. I also am planning on having it indoors so hopefully shedding will not be overwhelming. I am leaning towards a Brittney, but have very little experience with them and have never trained a pointing dog. Does anybody have any advice or tips? Any other breeds I should be considering (my wife really likes the looks of Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers, but I'm not sure they're a good option for us)?

I know you said you've had labs and would like to try something different but with the exception of the shedding all the other "must have's", family dog, grouse and duck hunting, good with kids, a lab fits the bill very well. Also, the availability of labs is so good that when you're ready to get a pup you wouldn't have any problems finding one.

The way a dog "looks" is perhaps the worst reason to choose a dog but it is what it is and it happens every day. The Tolling Duck Dog might not fit your family well. From what I have heard and read you're talking about a pretty stand-offish dog-like a Chessie- and you don't need that.

Take your time and , if you can, try to see the "parents" of any puppy you look at. You can watch them in action and sometimes get a pretty good idea what the pup will start out like. Then the rest is you instilling your personality and handling into the dog.

Vizslas are also good with kids and hunting with less shedding.

Vizslas are great family dogs and excellent grouse dogs but when it comes to duck hunting you'd be limited to very early season hunts. They have almost no coat to keep them warm and they can get cold easily. I'm sure a vizsla would be willing to jump into a 40 degree lake to retrieve your bird but I'm not sure its the best idea to ask them to do it. I know I have to keep a close eye on my Vizsla when I'm out running him in the winter. He'll just keep going and going and going and never stop to think about how cold he is. I have to be the one to watch for the signs and tell him when he's had enough.

Also Vizslas don't really shed less than other breeds, its just that their coat is only 1/4"-1/2" long so its not as obvious in the house. But if you wear a pair of black pants and you get the classic "vizsla lean" from the dog you'll find yourself covered with little red hairs. The real advantage is that grooming is VERY easy with vizslas. A bath every 2 months is about it.

Only other thing to consider about vizslas is their insane energy levels. Its possibly to manage it with alot of exercise and training but it takes some commitment. Despite the challenge of thier energy they really are great family dogs. If my dog isn't running outside he's usually curled up on the couch with my wife or I. I also have a 6 month old daughter and he's great with her. He'll lay next to her on the floor and watch over her.