• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Live Ripley Youth Hunt

snapcrackpop

Slow morning for us. Boy its tough finding an"edge"around these big woods. Temp in the 40's and 15 to 20mph winds.

20131012_073444_zps4412753b.jpg

Afternoon. ..

We moved and found a great spot by a Beaver dam in the middle of a large, long swamp. Wish we could find some fresh sign. Should make for a great crossing! 50 degrees and swirling winds.

20131012_130157_zpsf9fab6d9.jpg

Sure was a great time and hats off to the volunteers and Camp Ripley for putting on this Youth Archery Hunt. Im not sure who had more fun. My Grandson bagging his first deer ever on his first big game hunt or me watching him drop it in its tracks. I think he is hooked. I would highly recommend this hunt to anyone who wants to take their kids hunting or even mentoring another kid.

Here are a few pictures from the weekend.

full-27870-37879-img_0134.jpg

full-27870-37880-img_0141.jpg

full-27870-37881-img_0144.jpg

[url=http://fishingminnesota.com/forum/file/userpics/2013/10/full-27870-3[url=http://fishingminnesota.com/forum/file/userpics/2013/10/full-27870-3

Another successful youth hunt for my son...with a roller coaster of emotions. He made what we both thought was a great broadside shot on a doe Sat evening. Found the arrow stuck in the ground but it smelled like guts. Only found a few drops of blood in the wet leaves. Spooked a deer while looking for it in the dark, that we thought was her. (ended up it wasn't) Gave up for the night...very discouraged. Hunted the same spot the next morning. After we climbed down, we decided to see if we could track her just on the disturbed leaves. We went about 75 yards and my son spotted another drop of blood and then another. The rest is history. grin Double lung but back a bit. You can see the exit wound in the photo. She went about 150 yards.

full-1027-37895-ripley13deer.jpg

Our mobile base camp

full-1027-37896-ripley13basecamp.jpg

The view from our Sunday morning hunt. Where he shot the doe the evening before.full-1027-37897-ripley13viewfromstand.jp