• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2004 Polaris 700 sportsman dont turn over and start

x1957x

My ATV just clicks once in awhile or just a real quick turnover. Like less than a second. Put it on battery charger and it says 100% but does the same thing. The lights even look dim?? (It has a gell battery in it also. I have to replace it about every year. Can a guy convert to a standard battery also). Any way,, about it not turning over. It has like a ford selonoid bolted to the frame inside the rear fender and the battery cable goes to it and then it runs to the starter. Could this be the problem? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated..

Could very well be a weak solenoid. Take a screw driver or wrench and jump the terminals, if it starts every time you do that you have found the problem. I think gel cell battery may also require a "smart" charger. The old selectable voltage switch chargers won't read nor charge a gel battery correct from what I've heard. But I could be wrong.

Another issue could also be the starter. Sometimes they will stop in a weak spot and won't turn over. Tap it if possible with a hammer while trying to turn it over, if it works after that. That identifies that as the issue.

I tried the starter thing and that didnt help. I did the selonoid also and that doesnt do the trick. Does a person have to use a gell Battery or can he go with another 12 volt of the same but not a gell. I am not a big fan of the Gell.I have to put a battery in it about every year even using a trickle charger during the winter. At a $141.00 it can get expensive just doing the yearly up keep..

Yes I use a battery tender all winter. The question is though is what is the diferance between a AGM battery and a OEM. And can a guy use a acid filled battery instead of a gell battery? How do you convert it if so!

No conversion needed to change between lead acid and AGM. Generally speaking AGM are higher end battery than regular lead/acid.

We have a 06 700. Factory battery was regular lead acid. Lasted less than a year. The AGM we replaced it with has been going strong since winter 07.

I guess I'm not sure what might be going wrong in your case, but I would start to question my battery minder IF the battery is tested and proven to be shot. I'd take the battery in and have it looked at as a starting point. I do not think the problem is an AGM vs lead acid problem.

Is there any way to test the selonoid and the starter to eliminate these before the battery process starts. Can a ground off the battery mounted to the frame with a bad connection make it so it turns over for a tenth of a second sometimes or just clicks the rest of the time? I went and put the charger on it today and it said it had a 100% charge in about 2 minutes to..

Yes you need a meter

Start at the battery and work your way through the circuit

When the solenoid fires the starter side should have 12v approx

If not back up

My guess is with a meter on the battery and cranking the rig the voltage will bottom out

Battery

I read somewhere that the battery minus store is just that on these forums

Try a napa batt