• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stick in Mud

LOL. No, not at all.

I actually got into an accident earlier this week (while driving my car) with a motorcyclist who ran a stop sign. Thankfully he had his helmet on, so apart from a head-sized hole in the windshield (plus a nearly totaled vehicle), a destroyed bike, and a few bumps and bruises on the motorcycle driver, all is OK. Thanks be to Allah/God/Jehovah/Quetzalcoatl/Brahmin/Zeus/Ganesh/etc. etc. etc.

In a fairly emotional state (I was very shook up about the whole thing many hours after it happened), I had originally posted a sentimental and moralizing message about the importance of wearing helmets (as someone who also, when he was younger, got into an accident on his Honda 70 while NOT wearing a helmet...and as someone who isn't all that sure about motorcycle helmet laws), but I chose to delete it for fear of being, well, sentimental and moralizing.

Figuring that y'all didn't need a stranger's sentiment and/or morality, I tried (unsuccessfully) to delete the whole thing.

It's always good to share these experiences regardless of what some may think.

I sold my Concours a month ago mainly due to the number of close calls last summer. My wife and I were nearly taken out by an impatient, speeding, wrong way, passing in a no passing zone driver coming up a hill into a blind intersection.

LOL. No, not at all.

I actually got into an accident earlier this week (while driving my car) with a motorcyclist who ran a stop sign. Thankfully he had his helmet on, so apart from a head-sized hole in the windshield (plus a nearly totaled vehicle), a destroyed bike, and a few bumps and bruises on the motorcycle driver, all is OK. Thanks be to Allah/God/Jehovah/Quetzalcoatl/Brahmin/Zeus/Ganesh/etc. etc. etc.

In a fairly emotional state (I was very shook up about the whole thing many hours after it happened), I had originally posted a sentimental and moralizing message about the importance of wearing helmets (as someone who also, when he was younger, got into an accident on his Honda 70 while NOT wearing a helmet...and as someone who isn't all that sure about motorcycle helmet laws), but I chose to delete it for fear of being, well, sentimental and moralizing.

Figuring that y'all didn't need a stranger's sentiment and/or morality, I tried (unsuccessfully) to delete the whole thing.

Stick, helpful insight is always needed. Your . on helmet use is a good one. I feel naked without mine on, but I ride more dirt then tar with the Dual Sport. wink It's hard to "Start-seeing-Motorcycles" when some drive like that. eek

I've been smuggling with that decision too. I KNOW i should be wearing one, but just hate the thought of it. I came to a compromise with myself to wear one of those German style ones. Problem is, the ones that actually look good, (think Sons of Anarchy), aren't DOT approved. But... I figure it will still be better protection for my head than nothing at all. Problem is finding one. I don't think anyone can sell one that's not DOT approved

Stuck in Mud......

Even though you did not post your original post, the . (point) is well taken after your replies.

Go ahead and post what you wanted to say. As you know there will be somebody that will always look at the negative side of someone's post.

Just do not post pictures.

picture + size = challenges grin

Through a few other friends I met a guy who survived a motorcycle accident not wearing helmet. Not a pretty thing. He was a total mess for about 3 years, and I mean messed up, barely talk, couldn't understand a dang thing he said for over a year. First 6 months needed help walking even with a walker. One eye was completely gone and the other wasn't working well. I have not seen him for quite a while so not sure how well he eventually recovered but....

I am not sure if it should or shouldn't be a law to wear a helmet, but I tend to think it is a good idea.