• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question about deadheads

Rick G

I figure I would post this hear as everybody knows catfisherman are the smartest people on the river wink

Is it legal to move deadheads out of the main channel on the river. I have been moving moving them out of the channel where boats can hit them upto the banks fo a number of years, and just today was told by a deputy that this is illegal, something about altering the river. Is he right?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was quasi grey area illegal sounding enough that you could get a ticket for it.

You found a cop that wanted to tell you can't do something. I really can't imagine a cop writing you a ticket for that, much less it holding up through a casual conversation with the prosecutor.

I think the deputy is correct. However, it is not likely you will be ticketed. Intent of the law is harvesting as well as altering ecosystem - But, anyone with half a brain knows moving a tree in the MN river isn't going to hurt anything.

Yeah no matter the intent (harvest, or safety)- I don't think anyone has any biz removing any of the wood from the channel- it's not your property or wood. It's habitat for many things and keeps some people off the river that are too chicken to deal with the normal/natural river hazards. And if that's the case they should stick to the lake or the couch. Some of us like it that way. Put a reflecter tac on there if you want to remember where it is/see where it is but that's about it.

I should explain this a little better. When I had this conversation with the deputy, I was not on the river, we were at a local park talking about the conditions of the river, and the subject of things that I have hit over the years came up. I told him that over the years I have moved quite a few heads out from the middle of the river in certain places, he happened to mention that "I could be ticketed for altering the river" if I was ever caught doing this.

Now it not like I'm out there ripping whole trees out from the river bottom, I'm not stupid, these I will put a jug or two on. The heads I'm talking about can be pulled out only by the force I can apply with human strength. and are almost always smaller,round logs with just one end sticking up, not that that makes any difference.