• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lakes with campsites

bltbowhunter

Does anyone know of HSOforum that I can go to, to find a map or list of lakes that have campsites on them? I looked on the dnr HSOforum, but was unable to find what I was looking for. I'm looking to take the wife and young daughter camping this summer anywhere within 2-3 hours of the cities. I don't want to do a river. I only have a 16' boat with a 25 horse motor, so the lake can't be huge. I'm basically looking for a designated camping spot on a lake that we could boat to and have a fire grate, a "toilet hole", and a spot for a tent.

Within 2-3 hours of the cities a few places that come to mind are the reservoirs outside of Duluth. Minnesota Power has boat in campsites on Fish, Boulder, Rice, Island and Whiteface Reservoirs. I was having trouble finding maps of the campsites but I think if you gave them a call you could probably get some more information. I know that they have maps of the campsites at the boat launches.

bltbowhunter, If you are looking for remote/isolated boat-in camping on a lake that close to the cities, I think you will be lucky to find it. (Please, though, PM only me if you do.) smile However, there are lots of lakeside campgrounds available. Examples: Meeker County campground on Lake Koronis or Cedar Lake/Wright County campground near Annandale. Plus, many resorts might have a few campsites available among their seasonal campers. Google Alexandria and Brainerd Tourism for more info. Personally, if you want boat-in isolation, I think you would need to drive 4 hours north....there the options abound, though, starting with Voyageurs National Park.

There is a pretty nice hardly full campground on the southend of Washburn lake just north of Outing Mn which may work well for you. The boat launch is right there and you can run the wife and daughter into town for an Ice Cream too if the day is rainy! smile

There is a pretty nice hardly full campground on the southend of Washburn lake just north of Outing Mn which may work well for you. The boat launch is right there and you can run the wife and daughter into town for an Ice Cream too if the day is rainy! smile

That is a nice CG. Stayed there with my dad several years ago and slept in the topper on his truck. Free firewood when we stayed there. I don't think you can keep your boat in the lake though, at least not at your site.