• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SAYING GOOD BYE TO OUR FRIEND

Tomorrow is going to be one of toughest days of my life. I have to put down my three year old chocolate lab, Maggie.. She was my first dog, and I had three great seasons with her by my side. Next fall will be hard knowing that she can only watch from above, we will definately miss her. I am writing through tears knowing that she is waiting down stairs for her last meal. So if there is anyone out there who knows of a good litter of chocolate pups anytime soon, my wife and I have a big whole in our hearts that we would like to fill, but I am not totally sure that getting a new dog right away is the thing to do, so any one with experience on these issues I would sure appreciate a little support...This really sucks!!

JOSHF,

Sorry to hear you are losing your dog. What happened if you don't mind my asking? 3yrs old is really young to have put a dog down. If you watch Dr Phil at all, he has had several segments on losing a pet. He suggests that you wait 6 months before getting a new pet. That gives you a chance to come to terms with your grief then be able to move on. Hope that helps.

[This message has been edited by Ptman (edited 01-12-2004).]

Well its kind of a long story but about 4 months after we got her she broke her bac leg. After surgery and 2 pins just above her ankle she became very aggresive towards other dogs, and shortly after that people. And finally this weekend she bit my dad. We knew that this was going to happen and we should have done something about about a year and a half ago. It was really odd, but if we were aat the lake and she ran all day she would growl at you if you tried to touch her, and if you didn't know how to treat her she might snap at you. So to make a long story shorter she never left mine or my wifes side for the past 2 years, just because we couldn't trust her with others. So all that time and closeness with her has just made it that much harder to let go of her. I don't know how to act when we come home tomorrow and there sits the tennis ball and the bed and the treats and dog food and pictures and.... I think that any dog owner should understand, that its not only a pet it really part of your family. Sorry to ramble like this but it kind of feels good to let others knoweven though I don't really know you. I wish I knew what went wrong with her?? Was it the trauma of all the anesthesia?? Was it something I did wrong? Was it genetics? I do know that the next time I will find a reputable breeder and do a little back round check first.

There is no easy way to put them down. It won't be a good day but it does get better over time. No secrets to it, it just plain hurts but you have to remember that you are doing something that has to be done. It's part of the responsibility we take on when we pick up a puppy. Try and have some fun today with her. Decide what to do with the remains before you go in. I have always had mine cremated alone and they are in a walnut Urn on my dresser. They make one with a photo slot on the front. I like to feel like they are still around.

As for a new pup, that is up to you, I think timing is different for everyone. You aren't replacing your friend, just making a new one.

You have my Condolences, it is not a good day.

So so sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you and your wife spend today with her and make it a memorable one for all of you.

I hope your next pup works out better for you.

I had to do it to the dog I grew up with when I was 17, I was in there holding him when they did it, though it was one of the hardest things I've ever done, my only regret would have been not being there in his final moments.

Matt

JoshF
Sorry to hear about your dog. We had to put our lab down a while ago. I don't know if this idea will help or not. We had shadow cremated, and she still rides in the back of my Dad's suburban. So she can still do what she loved - ride in the truck and go on hunting trips.

[This message has been edited by TV BOY (edited 01-13-2004).]

Josh...I've had that busted up feeling inside me all to many times...never gets any easier. Remember the good times, forget the bad times and she'll always hold a place in your heart.

Good Luck in the future with the next brown dog! Hope it is all you are looking for and more!

Ken

My condolences JOSHF. I shiver thinking about the day in which I won't have my dog along in the boat, truck, and around the house any longer.

Be thankful you were there. As my first lab reached an unhuntable age he just staggered off one day from the home he had had for 13 years to find his final resting place. I always regretted the fact that he must have had a lonely feeling during his last day without me to see him off.

Sorry to hear about your bad news. I went through a similar event 4 years ago with my lab. He loved everyone but the paper lady. Got her one day. Very hard to do but you are making the right decision. Wait a little bit then get another one.
Best of luck

Lab

Terrible day for you and those who read on. As stated, make the best of it and remember the outings together.

I lost my guy, Mike, 4 years ago. Never can replace them. Do not try. I now have the Monster who I really do love. Different breed this time but different dog too.

The first hunting season was the worst. I think it was harder with a new one than without one at all, at first. Calling out the wrong name for the first few times in the field out of habit just destroys you. You do recover. Sometimes it takes a long time.

All my sympathies...

Joshf,

I have a seven year old black lab named Maggie that is starting to show her age and all the season of breaking ice on retrieves. Next year will be her last year of hunting with me as she is having problems with the cold water and hunting weekend after weekend. I think the hardest thing for me is going to be leaving for the hunt and seeing the disappointment in her eyes because she knows were I am going. It is never easy loosing a hunting buddy.

Josh, sorry to hear of your loss. Had to put down my old lab last summer, all you can do is tell yourself that you're doing the right thing. As far as getting a new pup, I already went and got one because I wanted it to be old enough to hunt this fall. The first week or so was strange, I thought about the old dog a lot, but now I'm into the training of the new one, thinking about the ducks and pheasants that we'll be chasing in the future. My condolences.

it's always tough putting your best friend down....just be by it's side and give them love.....you''ll see them again in heaven one day as he or she will be waiting for you...personally....i would wait awhile before getting a new puppy so you can grieve but also.....and this is just me.....but it's kind of showing them the respect they deserve .....i've had to put down 5 dogs in my life and it gets harder everytime....my condolences....i have a a couple articles if you want me to post them....one is called a dogs prayer....the other is.....dogs dont have souls...do they?........i have these up on my fridge and read them quite often......they help me immensley....

WalleyeKiller I would like to get the articles that you have. If you could post them it would be great.

I am dreading the day I have to start thinking about puting my lab down and she is not even two yet.

Dogs and people have a unique bond. I attended a funeral a couple of days ago for my best friends father. A true outdoorsman and figure in my life. This man LOVED dogs. Any time you seen him, whether it be cutting wood, working in the garden, or rowing his boat on the lake, a dog would be at his side. smile.gif He developed cancer recently and his health declined. Funny thing though, it seemed as the dog knew! Weeks before his passing, despite the help of Vets, the dog wandered off to the woods to die days before his master. frown.gif I post this with a tear in my eye thinking of the dedication and love that people as well as dogs have for each other. Donald Laporte and Molly, GOD BLESS!!

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

JOSHF,
Sorry to hear about your pup. Dogs are trully special creatures that God gave us. I had to put my pup of 15 years down last year and as most people say about there pups with pride, she was the smartest dog. She wasn't a hunting dog, but she was mine (or I was hers). My folks told me that they thought we could tell what each other was thinking ( I think we could). That last trip to the vet was the hardest thing for me to do. Coming home wasn't fun anymore.....
I... like you,was wondering if I should get another dog. I asked many people, some said wait and some said go for it. I kept hemming and hawing about it for whole 2 - 3 weeks, yep a whole 2-3 weeks, until I found this little "Ivory" lab on the internet. He was from a humans society that they got becuase after the owner got him, he found out that he couldn't get papers for him and was going to shoot him. Well, they got him, I found him and now he is mine. Although I think about my previous pup frequently and still miss her, this little guy has helped to fill a missing spot. Not only that, but this little pup has cost me a little more cash... Now that this dog has turned me a bird hunter, i had to buy bird hunting stuff and then there are the trips $$ But, it has all been worth to me, he loves to hunt and I love to see how much fun he is having. When his time comes It won't be easly,(and think about it alot) but until then I plan on enjoying every minute I can with him.
Again, truly sorry to hear about your lose.
I also read your other post about going to look at pups, let us know what you decided to do. I think that you will know when the time comes to get a new one.
Best wishes to you,
"hooks"

Josh
Sorry about you're loss it's hard to lose them. Hope you were by his side. WE lost our golden 6 years ago He died very quik I do regret not taking off work and being here with my husband. We missed him dearly and also decided to wait to get another one not replace him of course you can never replace them. We could only wait 6 weeks and got a new one never regretted it. We have 2 big dogs in the house along with 2 kids and I wouldnt have it any other way. Hope this helps. God bless you and help you It's a rough time you never forget them.

[This message has been edited by saddie (edited 01-25-2004).]