• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What made this track?

Driftless

It looks like what ever it is may have stepped in the same place twice

as it appears to have 5 toes...maybe...but wolves and cats just have

four...so, if it is indeed a single print, I could be a bear, but you

would obviously know that by the back leg prints...don't know how large

your hands are but here is some info from the DNR HSOforum...

Because mountain lions are elusive animals, tracks may be the only things many people see. Their tracks are similar to wolf (or large dog) tracks, but mountain lion tracks are more rounded in shape, and 7.6-8.9 cm (3-3.5 in.) wide and 7.6 cm (3 in.) long. Wolves on the other hand have more elongated prints that average 8.9 cm (3.5 in.) wide and 11.4 cm (4.5 in.) long. Mountain lion tracks don't usually have claw marks, but if present, they are narrower than canid claw marks. Canids do not always leave claw marks. Also, mountain lion toe pads are more tear shaped and small in relation to the size of the heal pad, while canids are more ovate and large in relation to the heal pad. Bobcat and lynx tracks are similar in shape to mountain lions tracks, but bobcat tracks are smaller, and lynx tracks, while similar in size, are less distinct due to the abundant hair on their feet.

response from another board

537555_10200655104290745_883461911_n.jpg

Quote:
Hunting posture as it walking. rear paw is placed on the front paw track as it is stepping forward. Very slow/quite steps.

Were you off of HWY 80, norht of town? There is a wold pack now established south of my farm and just a few miles form one of the stretches of stream you fish. I've called in a couple of them now over the last 3 years while predator hunting. I believe one of them may be collared and studied by the DNR. They frequent an area south of me with the radio equipment. The guy i spoke to said they were tracking the turkeys, but I believe otherwise. Too much DNR activity around there during breeding season???????

Hunting posture????

Ok my hair is standing up on the back of my neck!!!

Hard to tell in the photo but I don't see any imprints from the claws. Wolves can't retract their claws but cats can. In fact, that is one of the primary ways to distinguish canine from feline tracks.

Also, the heal pad of canines is two-lobed and narrower than feline tracks which are three lobed. As a result, canine tracks appear more elongated than feline.

full-13877-30957-tracks.gif

another board tones in:

Quote:
Definitely canine, cats do not walk with their claws out. The weeds have melted more because of their dark color absorbs heat. These tracks are slightly enlarged by warm temps but not much. If they were melted out a large amount you would not see the detail that remains from the claws or the pads. That is most likely one big bad wolf.

I have see fresh tracks that size in eastern WI near my fathers house.